Method(s) to repeat a texture

Started by N-drju, December 01, 2019, 04:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I have just made a non-procedural repeated texture. Just to prep myself to make a brick path of sorts in my upcoming art.

I have used the shader array. Results are quite okay I'd say... But I think there should be a better way to do this...

Do you know of any other method that could reproduce this trivial, yet a bit primitive as it is, effect?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

I'd use a high resolution PBR brick texture set.
Procedural is great for random organic surfaces but is difficult to get right on man made surfaces.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

And you don't need an array to repeat an image map, just check repeat XY in the shader. And have it multiplied by a world (transform shader) fractal for some random variation in tints. And better still, make two image maps and mix them (merge shader or mix color (blue node), depends on whether there's displacement in it too (then merge shader)) by some world fractal.
Multiplying by blue node would kill displacement, but you could use a merge shader for that.

N-drju

Ahhh, of course... I didn't think of the image shader's repeat option at first!

Mix was my first thought as well. Colour variation is not that important. Just another surface shader for some snow dust - that's all (for now anyway).
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"