Crede Pendrel's Worlds and Ideas

Started by CredePendrel, September 16, 2019, 09:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The simple shape is a mask, so input in it doesn't work. Use the SSS to displace something, so pull its output to the displacement tab of a surface shader. Default is 1, but set it 100 and you'll see something happening. Make the SSS a soft circle, say 90% with a bevel or smooth step. You can also add a PF between the SSS and surface shader, as an in between mask. Adjust the colors to your needs; black is no displacement, white is 100%, so you could set a 0.7 grey color in the low color, and adjust sizes to maybe 10/200/0.1 for a 100m diameter circle, then set color roughness to something less than 1, or you'll get ugly spikes. Experiment.
The simple shape can also be used directly to displace, but I never actually use that.

CredePendrel

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 19, 2019, 10:57:04 AMVery cool project! Curious if you made your castle ruins? you may have already said...sorry if I missed that. :)

You could also use a tg rock or invert a crater for your mound.......these can usually handle a PF displacement.

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22434.0.html    (inverted craters, tower tutorial)
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23401.0.html

Here is an inverted crater for a mound. I left it rounded. Other shapes can also be used by displacing a cube.
Thanks luvsmuzik! Appreciate the comments. Yes, I made the walls and tower myself. I used an add-on for Blender called "Wall Factory" then I used Blender's built in physics system to destroy them. It really was a lot of fun. As per my post, I too started with an inverted Crater but it really wasn't the results I was trying to get at. Your image definitely has the displacement on it I was trying to achieve. Thanks for the links, will take a look later on after work.

CredePendrel

Quote from: Dune on September 19, 2019, 11:03:34 AMThe simple shape is a mask, so input in it doesn't work. Use the SSS to displace something, so pull its output to the displacement tab of a surface shader. Default is 1, but set it 100 and you'll see something happening. Make the SSS a soft circle, say 90% with a bevel or smooth step. You can also add a PF between the SSS and surface shader, as an in between mask. Adjust the colors to your needs; black is no displacement, white is 100%, so you could set a 0.7 grey color in the low color, and adjust sizes to maybe 10/200/0.1 for a 100m diameter circle, then set color roughness to something less than 1, or you'll get ugly spikes. Experiment.
The simple shape can also be used directly to displace, but I never actually use that.

ok, so I really thought I could understood this but alas no. I do have the output of the SSS going to the displacement tab of a surface shader; its displacement is 30. I had no problem added the PF between the SSS and surface shader. I played with the scale values but the end result still looks the same.....I posted a snap shot of the node tree and a copy of the project file for reference.

Dune

I made some small adjustments to your file. See what can learn from this setup. I'd also advise you to name each node you use! Much easier to see what each one does, if the number of nodes increase.

CredePendrel

Quote from: Dune on September 20, 2019, 02:36:58 AMI made some small adjustments to your file. See what can learn from this setup. I'd also advise you to name each node you use! Much easier to see what each one does, if the number of nodes increase.
Once again, thank you Dune for taking the time to share your wisdom. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide .tgd's and to respond to every comment. I promise I am going to work hard to make you proud lol.  There looks like a lot here, I will take some time to digest and experiment. Thank you!

Hannes

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

CredePendrel

Hey Everyone!!

Been away from the forums and Terragen for a while; too much real life happening all at once! And now ontop of that I have all that snow that Bobby has been dealing with for the last month! Decided to do something nice and easy as a warm-up back into Terragen. Welcome to my new winter scene! Terrain done in Gaea Community Edition; (4k) Texture done in World Machine.

Edit: Was working on a Grassy Field sketch at the same time while the Snowy Landscape was rendering. All done in Terragen.

Oshyan

Welcome back! While the snow is very nice, in these wintry times I am personally loving the warm-looking, flowery meadow. :D

- Oshyan

CredePendrel

Thanks!!! Today was a busy day snow wise! Had to remove fresh 25 cm of snow from the driveway this morning. I'm looking forward to the green already!

Oshyan

Yes, I should be thankful I don't have snow to deal with! And actually California (where I am) has needed the rain, so I'm thankful for that too. :)

- Oshyan

Dune

Very nice renders, good to see you back.

CredePendrel

DocCharly65

Quote from: Oshyan on December 06, 2019, 08:57:58 PMWelcome back! While the snow is very nice, in these wintry times I am personally loving the warm-looking, flowery meadow. :D

- Oshyan
...same opinion ;)

bobbystahr

welcome back, and I almost hesitate to say, nice snow render but well, it really is. Like Oshyan I am partial to the green and colourful scene.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist