My first item in Blender

Started by N-drju, December 15, 2019, 04:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Ladies, Gentlemen,

I searched Turbosquid high and low and it turns out they don't have any free street lamp models... This is why I took matters into my own hands and made one myself... which wasn't so easy with the obscure Blender documentation... Nevertheless, ready to share the model with you.

It's a simple model really and I don't need anything fancy for this particular project, so don't expect fireworks. Attached is a street lamp with a fancy glass-bell shape, complete with a (goofy-looking) lightbulb.

No textures except some solid, "default shader" colors which are just enough for my current project. So please don't pester me about them. Enjoy! ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

sboerner

Not bad at all! Not including "fancy" shaders is fine as most people will want to roll their own anyway. Defining the shading groups is the main thing.

One small suggestion, if I may: Smooth out the edges of the base. You shouldn't have to subdivide. There should be a hard edge/soft edge option somewhere in Blender that lets you adjust the smoothing angle between polys.

(Blender has defeated me more than once. Working up courage to try again some day.)

N-drju

Quote from: sboerner on December 15, 2019, 12:19:20 PMOne small suggestion, if I may: Smooth out the edges of the base.

To be honest I, kind of, liked it this way. :) Seriously. "Plates" on the base are 100% intentional.

But as you said, it is really tough at times to find the option you look for in Blender... I tried to smooth out some polygons, looked through several docs and tutorials and none were applicable...

I figure it's better to just set the number of faces / vertices right after you add an object. This way you can put the values in the dialogue box which appears at the bottom of the workspace. Which is nowhere to be found later on...
::)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

sboerner

Ah, should have realized that, of course. Nice model either way. The glass bell looks a bit Riven-esque.

WAS

This is perfect for props on a nice road. Thanks for the share...

---

TurboSquid is really a terrible distributor and considering how many people can just upload paid objects and go unnoticed for years is astonishing to me.

I'd suggest searching Sketchfab. It's long since been much more than just for scanned stuff. Much better quality work, all downloaded work is some sort of variant of CC. That's where the Lantern is from that I shared here in File Sharing is from.

I do also think Shaders are sorta important. A lot of people picking up Terragen may have no where to start, and like sold/downlaoded objects, those without Textures are noticeably not as popular, plus an annoyance. People doing their own is more the area of advanced users, and considering that, these users may be making their own "lamps" or whatever objects to begin with.

masonspappy

To smooth in Blender: (assuming you are using V2.8 or 2.81) make sure the area you want to smooth is highlighted, then (1) if in edit mode then FACE > Shade Smooth/Flat or (2) If in Object Mode then Object > Shade Smooth/Flat.  Blender is a great compliment to Terragen and remarkably powerful although it took me a month to really get a grasp of version 2.8x because that version changed so much. Bit I've sold  about a dozen or so Blender models through Turbosquid in the last 16 months (I'm only selling 10 products at the moment because I had to remove the others and rebuild them for certification).

Your lamp post looks very nice. Actually, I kinda like the light bulb. :)

WAS

Quote from: masonspappy on December 16, 2019, 12:45:23 AMYour lamp post looks very nice. Actually, I kinda like the light bulb. :)

Playing Red Dead Redemption 2 right now and it reminds me of some of the old bulbs they show. There is also some really huge bulbs they use I wonder if actually existed. Hanging above streets on wires. 

Thanks for that blender tip. That's really simple to get to. Sometimes blender seems more daunting than it really is. I just hate that most of it is macro based. It's not intuitive when it comes to people with Dyslexia and more visual based.

N-drju

Quote from: masonspappy on December 16, 2019, 12:45:23 AMTo smooth in Blender: (assuming you are using V2.8 or 2.81) make sure the area you want to smooth is highlighted, then (1) if in edit mode then FACE > Shade Smooth/Flat or (2) If in Object Mode then Object > Shade Smooth/Flat.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out. Guess it must be 2.8 or something, because I downloaded it not so long ago.

mhaze