New Threadripper build ordered vs my TG/CG aspirations...

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 06, 2019, 07:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi Guys!

I can't help myself sharing my excitement with you for my new PC system build for mainly TG, but perhaps also others like Houdini...who knows.

I really needed a new system, since my 8 year old quad core 2600k with 16GB RAM is really holding me back in creating my ideas.
Especially creating them faster and without memory restraints.
It will allow me to run larger and faster simulations of erosion, or populating instances.
My current project takes over 1 hour to populate just 5 populations over a 32x16km area with 2x 5m and 3x10m spacing.
Yes that's big and a bit densely, I know, but it kills workflow and iteration speed.
So with this new build I can iterate faster in all aspects.
Twice!

Some time ago I started a thread about renderthread scalability and it clearly showed that TG does not scale well beyond 12 threads.
Usually while rendering/simulating/populating I want to keep working on ideas. So 12 cores/24 threads for that and the other cores/threads for the other TG instance or whatever other CG software.
No waiting, no Youtubing, just keep on churning and burning. In some cases I could still render with 16/32 or 20/40 and have a workable 2nd TG instance. There's so much more I can do once I have this machine.
I'm really excited by this idea as there's so much I have in mind which I cannot create now or don't have the patience for since my PC isn't powerful enough. This will fix it all!
So in the end I took the decision to go for a bit of overkill with my machine, but I think it will be definitely worth it and I hope it will serve me equally well as my 2600k did for 8 years!

It will also mean I will probably be a lot more active here and elsewhere, because I really needed this to re-invigorate my TG/CG hobby.
Ultimately I would like to work part-time at my science job and do more freelance work on the side. Or the opposite ;)
Learning other tools while not being limited by your old machine will probably also help make it less painful/annoying, I hope. Let's see!

System build:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C15Q2-128GTZ
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 - SSD, 1x
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB - SSD, 2x
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (CPU air cooler)
Corsair HXi Series HX850i (PSU)
Asus PRIME TRX40-PRO
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Black
ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2060 Super EVO
be quiet! Silent Wings 3
Noctua NF-A15 PWM

I gave this quite a bit of thought and research, so hopefully I did not make obvious mistakes.
For a moment I was seriously investigating AIO liquid coolers, but the noise profiles vs cooling performance were not really convincing to me.
Better cooling, but generally quite loud.
Also the idea of potential leakage and moving parts like the pump eventually causing issues or even more noise did make me decide to go for the slightly less effective, but more reliable air cooling.
The GPU is not top notch, but isn't of much priority at this stage.
Say I'd like to learn Houdini, then most of it is still CPU based, like the renderer.
Simulations can be ran on the GPU and this one will still be no slough and I have insane CPU thread numbers anyway.
If I will get really serious with it eventually then I'd need to re-invest anyway, but at this stage I cannot justify that.
I first need to develop the base skills which may eventually lead me to desiring more powerful GPU's. At this stage it's all mostly TG oriented, thus a GTX 2060 seemed like a good compromise.

Anyway...wayyyy too much text here!!
Can't wait! See you guys!

Cheers,
Martin

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Yeah, great! Can't wait to see you around again with some nice renders. It's too quiet here anyway. Also looking forward to your experience with this setup.

Hetzen

Don't think you'll have any limitations on any software with that system.  8) 

Was that 128 Gigs of ram?

Oshyan

Very glad to see you'll soon have a machine worthy of your environment design and rendering talent and inspiration! Judging by the recent addition of a nearly chart-topping Ryzen 9 3950x to our TG4 benchmark list, I think you'll find your new machine to be quite something! https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-4-benchmark-results/

Looking forward to seeing your own benchmark results and much more in the future. :)

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Thank you guys :)

@Dune Yeah it's quiet, but it has been worse I think. I hope to receive my machine the end of the next week, some parts have 2-3 working days for delivery to their shop and then it all needs to be assembled and tested.

@Hetzen Haha yes I hope so that I can run anything I like on it for about 6-8 years! 
Yes you are right, it's 128GB. I was even considering 256GB, mostly because I intend to use this machine 6-8 years as well and who knows what's possible then.
However, the fastest 256GB DDR4 kit is somewhere around 2600MhZ if I recall correctly. Threadripper syncs with its memory at 3200Mhz, so it's best to team it up with memory of this speed.
Benchmarks of the same Zen2 architecture showed that RAM speed made a difference, so in the end I chose for "only" 128GB, because that will ensure I will not bottleneck my CPU. It also saves a fair bit of money.

@cyphyr and @Oshyan Yeah I'm curious too! Honestly I don't expect to become the highest ranking one. It's funny that #1 and #5 seem to have same specs and same TG version, yet differ quite a lot with each other!
My current machine renders the benchmark in 26 minutes or so, so anything around 4m30s would mean almost 6x faster rendering and I would be really really happy with that.
I really hope TG will scale a bit better at some point though. My current machine has a Cinebench R20 score of 1300 while this new threadripper consistently scores >13000 points. Very impressive performance.
At this point it all doesn't matter that much, since I intend to use 2 instances at once. Can't wait!

WAS

Wow that looks like a top-notch system for today! I'm sure you'll be surprised by the difference from your past system.

The difference in those top scores seems to be RAM related. Being able to swap out data fast can make a pretty big impact.

Tangled-Universe

Tangled-Universe

The monster is on its way, finally.
Should have it tomorrow, hopefully I can benchmark the same day.

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 19, 2019, 07:50:22 AMThe monster is on its way, finally.
Should have it tomorrow, hopefully I can benchmark the same day.
I was so excited with my new PC it was one of the first things I did before installing anything else xD

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on December 19, 2019, 01:24:47 PMIt was THE first thing I did :)
I had to install Firefox from USB. I refuse to launch Edge xD

Tangled-Universe

It ripped itself through the benchmark in 3 minutes 32 seconds...damn!

Oshyan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 20, 2019, 05:35:25 PMIt ripped itself through the benchmark in 3 minutes 32 seconds...damn!
:o :o :o Wow, that is *insane*! More than a minute faster than the next fastest result. Totally worth it, eh? :D

- Oshyan

WAS

The third gen lineup sure seems to be raising new bars on price vs performance. That's a really incredible. What's also incredible is what this last gen of CPUs (from both fronts) has done with the Terragen benchmark list. I hope Oshyan keeps the old listings cause it will be cool to look back on in a few years. Especially tackling new benchmarks and features. I'd love to see a benchmarks tackling different scenarios, like path tracing, lighting and reflections, etc.