New Threadripper build ordered vs my TG/CG aspirations...

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 06, 2019, 07:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Wow! :o   So where I can do one render, you can do 4 or 5. Is it still a quiet machine or do you get blasted out of the office?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on December 21, 2019, 02:03:38 AMWow! :o  So where I can do one render, you can do 4 or 5. Is it still a quiet machine or do you get blasted out of the office?

Yeah it's crazy stupid!
Admittedly it's not as quiet as I expected, but I already noticed it differs quite a bit on the workload.
The benchmark was pretty loud here and there, similar to my old machine, but when rendering a path traced scene it's a whole lot more quiet.
When idling the machine is way more quiet than my old one and it's actually the fan of my -also to be replaced- monitor which I'm hearing most now.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on December 20, 2019, 06:43:32 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 20, 2019, 05:35:25 PMIt ripped itself through the benchmark in 3 minutes 32 seconds...damn!
:o :o :o Wow, that is *insane*! More than a minute faster than the next fastest result. Totally worth it, eh? :D

- Oshyan

It's insane indeed! :D I had to run it again to make sure it was real.
It's totally above all expectations!
I was kind of extrapolating performance from a combination of review data on how the 3900X, 3950X and previous threadrippers perform compared to this new line of threadrippers. My Cinebench score on the old one was 1300 and for this threadripper ~13700. I had an idea of how these Cinebench scores related to TG4 benchmark performance and I guesstimated that I would hopefully cut render times by a factor of 6. From 27 minutes to somewhere in between 4 and 4m30s.
Now it's nearly 8! I couldn't be more happy!

Finally I can use RTP for clouds in its full glory and it's sooooo much nicer!
So yeah, for now totally worth it!

Oshyan

Excellent. And how does it measure up to your extrapolations/projections about performance and threading efficiency from earlier?

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

No chance yet...had to return the machine due to a faulty CPU :( (their first guess given my description of the issues)

Oshyan

Wow, really? What a letdown. :( Hope you get it back soon!

- Oshyan

Dune

RogueNZ

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Oshyan and Ulco, it's indeed quite a letdown/disappointment.
On the other hand it's probably better the issue showed immediately, which probably makes troubleshooting a lot easier.
I hope to have it back at the end of this week, let's see.
Quote from: RogueNZ on December 29, 2019, 04:03:02 AMFeeling silly now having just bought the 3900x!

Why!? It's a great processor! It's also quite different from a Threadripper, so no worries whether if your 3900x might be faulty as well, should that be the reason why you feel silly. No need to!

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 29, 2019, 06:43:02 AMThanks Oshyan and Ulco, it's indeed quite a letdown/disappointment.
On the other hand it's probably better the issue showed immediately, which probably makes troubleshooting a lot easier.
Quote from: RogueNZ on December 29, 2019, 04:03:02 AMFeeling silly now having just bought the 3900x!

Why!? It's a great processor! It's also quite different from a Threadripper, so no worries whether if your 3900x might be faulty as well, should that be the reason why you feel silly. No need to!
Did you buy prebuilt? I know some companies are undervolting hardware. Mine was. 450watt PSU when the GPU alone required 500 watt for the whole system, so testing my new PC with TG and Blender yielded crashes, no post, all sorts of weird stuff.

Calculating CPU, peripherals, fans, lights, GPU and HDDs I needed at least 650watt so put in a 750watt and no more problems

Tangled-Universe

The specs are in my opening post, FYI.

The system is fed by a 850W power supply.
CPU = ~270W
GPU = ~300W
Other = ~150W
In total that's ~720W so I added a bit of leeway by choosing a 850W supply.

The system is custom built for me and I chose all its individual components myself.
When I returned the machine to the shop last Friday I spoke with one of their assembly staff and went through the setup and why I chose those components, but he saw no obvious flaws in any of my choices.
On the contrary, instead he said he was happy to see someone was finally not skimming on things like Motherboard, PSU, extra cooling and other more future proof choices.

Fingers crossed this will happen just one time.

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 30, 2019, 03:37:41 PMThe specs are in my opening post, FYI.

The system is fed by a 850W power supply.
CPU = ~270W
GPU = ~300W
Other = ~150W
In total that's ~720W so I added a bit of leeway by choosing a 850W supply.

The system is custom built for me and I chose all its individual components myself.
When I returned the machine to the shop last Friday I spoke with one of their assembly staff and went through the setup and why I chose those components, but he saw no obvious flaws in any of my choices.
On the contrary, instead he said he was happy to see someone was finally not skimming on things like Motherboard, PSU, extra cooling and other more future proof choices.

Fingers crossed this will happen just one time.

You just can't skimp on parts. I had, and still have a lot to replace in the PC my fiancee got me. The PSU was the most vital. Especially one rated for 24/hr use.

RogueNZ

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 29, 2019, 06:43:02 AMThanks Oshyan and Ulco, it's indeed quite a letdown/disappointment.

Having looked at the price of Threadripper, back to feeling happy again :D

WAS

How do they differ besides speeds and cache? They're both Zen 2 processors. the only real difference is sTRX4 socket type. That's the "magic" about the Threadrippers, is it's kinda a "Why hasn't Intel done this?" sorta thing.

Tangled-Universe

More PCI lanes and greater max RAM capacity, for instance.