New Threadripper build ordered vs my TG/CG aspirations...

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 06, 2019, 07:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paq

Nice build sir ! I'm about to build something around the 3960x too, got almost all the part picked except the cooler.
The only TR4 water cooler that full cover cpu (enermax LIQTECH TR4 360) has such bad review that I will pass.

This one looks promising : https://www.icegiantcooling.com/         ... but not available before months I suppose. I will go with the Noctua for the moment too.

Anyway, nice to see your result in Terragen, that's a really impressive score !
Gameloft

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 03, 2020, 11:45:52 AMMore PCI lanes and greater max RAM capacity, for instance.

Thaaat's not really a design difference, that's allowance because of power...

Maybe actually look up the CPU architecture. You said they're quite different when they're essentially the same in different form factors, one having of course a lot more core-head room for I/O, PCI lanes, and RAM, but this is inherent to any CPU and isn't a "difference" beyond performance. Architecture is CPU differences, which would also encompass CPU compatibility.

Usually when people talk about CPU differences, it's architecture. Like Zen 1 vs Zen 2, or Zen 2 vs Ice Lake or something of that, which actually compares differences in CPU architecture and functionality.

Hetzen

Jordan, check your language. There's no need in the belittling if you disagree with something.

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on January 06, 2020, 03:50:03 PMJordan, check your language. There's no need in the belittling if you disagree with something.

Don't read so far into things, and considering the whole issue between us started with Martin's continued belittling, erroneously, lol.

Some things aren't about opinions, also. They're about facts. You're either wrong or not. Applying opinions would be negligent and serves as an avenue for misinformation.

They're both Zen 2 CPUs, on the same architecture... one is in a different socket type because of it's beef. But nothing is quite different beyond that, that wouldn't be expected like any line of CPUs. But the EPYC system performs on the same performance scale as any other Zen 2, with the same instruction sets.

Hetzen

Quote from: WAS on January 06, 2020, 04:54:58 PM
Quote from: Hetzen on January 06, 2020, 03:50:03 PMJordan, check your language. There's no need in the belittling if you disagree with something.

Don't read so far into things, and considering the whole issue between us started with Martin's continued belittling, erroneously, lol.

Some things aren't about opinions, also. They're about facts. You're either wrong or not. Applying opinions would be negligent and serves as an avenue for misinformation.

It's a general comment. I'd rather get to the truth of something without any losers.

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on January 06, 2020, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: WAS on January 06, 2020, 04:54:58 PM

It's a general comment. I'd rather get to the truth of something without any losers.

Suppose your right, but there may be a loser when it comes to thinking there is such a great difference and taking such comments as advise (especially vs price). In fact, they're quite comparable considering the scale, with again, the same instruction sets, so nothing you can run on EPYC wouldn't run on any other Zen 2.

Hetzen

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on January 06, 2020, 05:05:25 PMOnly you are making this a competition.

I'd refer to Martin's posts for awhile, in that case. Lol Passive aggressive comments and instigation aside, I don't think you know how talk to people that are having a issue.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: paq on January 06, 2020, 09:00:21 AMNice build sir ! I'm about to build something around the 3960x too, got almost all the part picked except the cooler.
The only TR4 water cooler that full cover cpu (enermax LIQTECH TR4 360) has such bad review that I will pass.

This one looks promising : https://www.icegiantcooling.com/        ... but not available before months I suppose. I will go with the Noctua for the moment too.

Anyway, nice to see your result in Terragen, that's a really impressive score !

Oh wow that's cool! No pun intended here :P
I saw Linus's video on the icegaint cooler and it's definitely a compelling option, but indeed not for now unfortunately.
Expect a bit of noise though, so perhaps you can see if there are better sound isolated options than the Fractal Define R6 I chose.