Candle Flame Animation Test

Started by WAS, January 06, 2020, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Hmmm, what do you guys think?

Using a redirect as my warper. Main "flicker" effect on X and "growing" effect on Y/Z.

Dune

Very 'cool'. Simple shape and altitude restricted colors, or image map?

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 06, 2020, 01:20:03 AMVery 'cool'. Simple shape and altitude restricted colors, or image map?
I was thinking about a procedural one before bed. Realistically shouldn't be too hard. This one is just a image map and semi-trans with redirect warping.

KyL

WAS

Procedural candle flame attempt is interesting to say the least. Shape wasn't exactly as easy as I thought to get down (candle flames are apparently not just a stretched sphere lol), but the most interest issue is colors. In order to maintain the lightness I had to use colours in the excess of "25" but still not the right intensities. The falloffs get tighter when increasing the colour intensity too.

WAS

Much better with a card at 1x2 rather than 1x1, and some minor adjustments to the shape, and made the fades pretty much way larger than the shapes, but it ended up working.

Dune

Looking very good, but what's procedural about this? Soft simple shape (with altitude restricted colors) warped instead of image map? How about adding some more cards, rotated so they form a circle, then it could be viewed from more sides too.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 07, 2020, 01:27:42 AMLooking very good, but what's procedural about this? Soft simple shape (with altitude restricted colors) warped instead of image map? How about adding some more cards, rotated so they form a circle, then it could be viewed from more sides too.

I was actually just working on the flame to add to objects that call for them, which usually have multiple viewing angles, though will never be perfect or a circle without too many cards it's silly. We'd just need quasi-3d cards that always face the camera like in real-time engines to solve that.

But yes, they're simple shapes, colour surfaces, and PF based warping, all being procedural based from TG. That's all procedural, no? Nothing is static asset based?

Dune

DocCharly65

Nice effect!

Quote from: WAS on January 07, 2020, 02:24:39 AMWe'd just need quasi-3d cards that always face the camera
Why not animate an y-rotation of the card synchronous to the camera/view angle?

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on January 08, 2020, 01:38:57 AMNice effect!

Quote from: WAS on January 07, 2020, 02:24:39 AMWe'd just need quasi-3d cards that always face the camera
Why not animate an y-rotation of the card synchronous to the camera/view angle?

Well of course you can do that, but that's the point of the quasi-3d cards, to not have to worry about that. Especially if you camera is complex, thats a lot of work for a simple candle flame, which will likely be a tiny element of a scene. Same for a bunch of cards to position for a 360 view (object grouping would be amazing there). That's why things are often simplified into some sort of system when they're common but complex.

More about how things could be improved than just achieving it.

DocCharly65

I see...

difficult! at the moment I have only something like a cone shape as 3D model instead of the cards in my head. but no concrete idea...