Human PT shaders and eyes

Started by Hannes, December 14, 2019, 08:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

Quote from: Dune on December 15, 2019, 03:05:02 AM>:(  Rar trouble again. Maybe it's Mac to Win 7 that causes this for me? But, luckily I converted the rar's online to zip first ;D  Thanks Hannes!
I had sometimes the same problem with .RAR Files, so I tried 7-Zip instead!
Often the Archive is ok, but the software is outdated. With 7-Zip I was able to expand the Archives.

STORMLORD

Dune

I've got 7-zip now, so I'm RARReady

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 16, 2019, 07:12:53 AMI've got 7-zip now, so I'm RARReady

Now I feel WinRAR missed an opportunity in branding...

bobbystahr

years back I discovered PeaZip which seems to handle everything nicely.

https://www.peazip.org/
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

QuinlanG

A belated and delighted thanks to you Hannes for your wonderful Christmas crib and insights into the Hogwarts School of Nodes.  Another thanks too to Dune/Ulco for further help, without which I wouldn't have gotten far.

To appreciate the 'magic' of these shaders I enclose a series of pics showing progress as they are introduced.
first up is the basic import at a 1:1:1 scale from a PoserPro 11 object export without any tweaks within Poser;
Gina_01.jpg
This is really rough as you can see;
Gina_02.jpg
Then the amazing magic happens once the tgcs are introduced;
Gina_05.jpg
With a tweak for the lips to give some colour and reflection

I also include two large images showing the mouth and fingernails — tho the latter can't really be appreciated in this render, the teeth however, come out really well indeed

First image was rendered in Poser for comparison, also SSS textures, and if you have the patience to see it at full size you will see minor skin details like fine hairs — again just as it comes in Poser no tweaks
Gina 03_1-01.png
Second is the same pose done in T4 and although some of the fine skin detail is lost it is still amazing imho
Gina_06.jpg

For anyone interested in taking this further I've uploaded the tgd file and Gina figure object files with image maps etc to dropbox and you should be able to downloaded it here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7wyuzl47pq8zsy/Gina%20Archive%20plus%20tgd%20file.zip?dl=0

I haven't done the eyes with a separate object as yet :) and there are still some more things to tweak, but the results really are 'magic' I feel.  

Many thanks once again to Hannes and Dune/Ulco for their kind generosity and time.

Quinlan

Platform: MacBookAir6,2 i7, 2core 1processor, 8GBram

WAS

Don't forget SSS works for hair also. 

Great examples though!

Hannes

Quote from: WAS on January 12, 2020, 12:05:40 AMDon't forget SSS works for hair also. 
I don't think, this is necessary. Most of the time planes are used for hair, so I would go for translucency in the shader.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on January 12, 2020, 07:48:45 AM
Quote from: WAS on January 12, 2020, 12:05:40 AMDon't forget SSS works for hair also.
I don't think, this is necessary. Most of the time planes are used for hair, so I would go for translucency in the shader.

To the contrary a lot of methods use proprietary SSS, (Pixar), or simple SSS, or deep opacity maps. Even some games (image below). Translucency w(in TG) would be overall and wouldn't follow any light and look really bad.

In general hair is translucent with volume, and reflection.

Granted this is probably best for scattered hair strands (actual physical hair) or a detail model with strands like below.

Hannes

Quote from: WAS 12.1.2020, 18:35:19
    "Translucency w(in TG) would be overall and wouldn't follow any light and look really bad."

Translucency actually follows light in TG, as you can see in my image below.

I agree, that the correct rendering method would be sss, but I think, that would be render overkill. Say you have a high res hair model with let's say 50000 hairs, you would need a very (!) tiny decay for the hair shader to get the right effect, and I don't know, if it would be possible to render that correctly.
Most objects that have hair, use planes with an opacity mask for hair strands, and using translucency together with the opacity mask usually works good enough. That's why I'd never use sss for leaves for example, although it would be physically correct.
The only situation I could think of for using sss for hairs, would be a compact hair model, like some sort of a helmet with a good texture, but I doubt, that a hair model like this would look realistic at all.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on January 13, 2020, 03:27:51 AMQuote from: WAS 12.1.2020, 18:35:19
    "Translucency w(in TG) would be overall and wouldn't follow any light and look really bad."

Translucency actually follows light in TG, as you can see in my image below.

I agree, that the correct rendering method would be sss, but I think, that would be render overkill. Say you have a high res hair model with let's say 50000 hairs, you would need a very (!) tiny decay for the hair shader to get the right effect, and I don't know, if it would be possible to render that correctly.
Most objects that have hair, use planes with an opacity mask for hair strands, and using translucency together with the opacity mask usually works good enough. That's why I'd never use sss for leaves for example, although it would be physically correct.
The only situation I could think of for using sss for hairs, would be a compact hair model, like some sort of a helmet with a good texture, but I doubt, that a hair model like this would look realistic at all.

You would of course utilize a light transport map, or transmission map, like you should with human skin SSS shaders too.

Also that's not what i mean with translucency, to achieve an actual hair look (photorealism) you'd have to go over 1, which "glows" the whole shader by ambient/enviro light. Without SSS too, a single strand will opaque the next as far as light transmission like in your example where one sail seems to block out all light and there is no overlaying from the sails.