From World Creator (Gaea ?) to Terragen to... ?

Started by eldrmozz, February 07, 2020, 09:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldrmozz

Hi.
I'm newbie (et français !), looking for answers to understand what soft do i need :
i'm videomaker and want to put in Premiere/DaVinci some lands with plants and clouds that i create with... Terragen ? Gaea ? World Creator ? SOmething else would be more complete than 2 or 3 or 4 softs ?

Where i am is that it seems to me that world creator is simple and nice to use, but can't produce render scene. So i need to have... Terragen to have the render scene of WC ? Am i right ? Are these two soft complementary ? 
Is it an intelligent way to imagine the flow for having a .mov or .m4 at the end of the process of creation scene ?

Sorry for those stupid questions, because it seems to me that i'm obliged to go to Unreal or Blender, thats i dont want (too much complicate, i just want render a film scene mov/mp4, not a video game)
To resume.
Terragen + Premiere ?
WC (or Gaea ?) + Terragen + Adobe Premiere ?
Thank you for your answers !!
;D

Tangled-Universe

Welcome to the forums!

WC/Gaea/WM are stand alone application for modeling terrains.
These terrain modeling programs generally have more artistic control than modeling terrains with Terragen.
For Terragen there's also a nice erosion modeling plugin from Daniil Kamperov.

So if you're going for less art directable terrains, but still want realistically eroded terrains then Terragen + Kamperov erosion would be sufficient.
For more art directable and eroded terrains you could go for WC/Gaea/WM.
The upside of Terragen + Kamperov erosion is that you can do this within 1 piece of software and the combination is likely cheaper than Terragen + WC/Gaea/WM.

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers,
Martin

eldrmozz

thank you Martin !
Do you mean, that i dont need to have blender, unreal or clarisse for rendering ? My objective is to have at the end of the process a MP4 / .mov file ?

WAS

Blender is always a good tool for objects and such. Unreal is more a focal area. Are you doing games or low fidelity rendering? 

Terragen can export frames, but has no internal use of ffmpeg or anything so doesn't output sequenced videos. But you can use ffmpeg and a GUI for that or many other sequencer apps. Adds a one-feature middleman software for little reason but it works.

eldrmozz

Hi Was ! Thank you for your answer.
Well my english make that i'm not sure of what you tell me.

Do you mean that i need another soft beetween Terragen and Premiere, for transform terragen files in a vidéo ? My purpose is to have a nice land in full hd video. Not for gaming, but for a simple walk, about one minute, "walking" in the scene i create in terragen or world creator. Do you think its possible ?
:-\

WAS

Quote from: eldrmozz on February 08, 2020, 05:50:59 PMHi Was ! Thank you for your answer.
Well my english make that i'm not sure of what you tell me.

Do you mean that i need another soft beetween Terragen and Premiere, for transform terragen files in a vidéo ? My purpose is to have a nice land in full hd video. Not for gaming, but for a simple walk, about one minute, "walking" in the scene i create in terragen or world creator. Do you think its possible ?
:-\

Adobe Premiere should work fine, you can sequence image stills in it. I'm not sure about the quality of its quality. I haven't used it in ages.

Yes I think that's more than possible in Terragen. Taking a walk in a 3D world sounds like a perfect example of Terragen's uses.

Dune

If you render a sequence in TG, outputting say .bmp, you can use virtualdub (free) to make an .avi. Just place all .bmp's in a folder, then with virtualdub you find the first of the sequence and it automatically imports the rest. Save as .avi. Then with a (free) .mp4 encoder it's easy to make your animation smaller in terms of MB's. Which is better to post here.

eldrmozz

thanks to all of you ! i was frightened to be obliged to learn Unreal or Blender !!! I can stay with WC and Terragen ! :))