File browser dementia

Started by DutchDimension, February 20, 2020, 10:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchDimension

Guys, could we please get some logic in the code that remembers the last used file path in the 'Export Gathered Project' 'Choose Folder' functionality. I use this function maybe 30-40 times a day and every time I have to click my way through a maze of folders. It's time-consuming, error-prone and very tedious.

I requested this about a year and a half ago, but I'm still waiting for it to be implemented (I'm on build 4.4.18 frontier). Surely it can't be that much code.

Many thanks.

Matt

Are you on Windows or Mac?

On Windows, the old pre-Vista folder browser is pretty bad. I'm replacing it with a more modern folder browser right now. This will be included in v4.5 for Windows.

In the mean time, there are some tricks to make this easier to work with. Did you know that you can type - or paste - a folder path into the Gather Project window? You might not need to use Choose Folder at all.

In some cases you can even type in a folder that doesn't exist yet, and it will automatically create it when you start the gather process. This only works if it only needs to create one folder; it won't work if it has to create folders two levels deep or more.

If you keep a Windows Explorer window open in the root folder where all your gathered subfolders are, you can copy and paste this in every time and just type the name of the new subfolder, then go straight to the Gather Project and Assets button.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

DutchDimension

Thank you for the tips Matt. I'll try and employ them. I'm on Windows 10, so it's a bit painful.
Good to hear a file browser update is in the works.
Could you please ensure separation between the different types of file dialogs? Some apps remember just one file path across a range of file load/save options, which means you still end up navigating folder structures a lot. It's better if each file browser remembers its own path. Also between shut downs and restarts of TG.

Cheers!

WAS

Quote from: DutchDimension on February 25, 2020, 02:12:34 AMThank you for the tips Matt. I'll try and employ them. I'm on Windows 10, so it's a bit painful.
Good to hear a file browser update is in the works.
Could you please ensure separation between the different types of file dialogs? Some apps remember just one file path across a range of file load/save options, which means you still end up navigating folder structures a lot. It's better if each file browser remembers its own path. Also between shut downs and restarts of TG.

Cheers!

I do really enjoy that feature. Like PNGs I often save are textures so my browser automatically takes me to the last destination I was saving them too, which is my texture folder.