offset mask

Started by micvswind, March 12, 2020, 02:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micvswind

hi guys, here is the question trouble me long time.
how to offset(expand/shrink) mask with hard edge.sometimes we coluld need to alter the mask lightly depend on the finished mask.but i cant find a way to solution this.
could you kind guys give me some tips.
QQ截图20200305230657.jpg
thanks very much.
regrads.

Dune

You produced a mask by a strata shader, afaik. That is hard by definition, so can't be subtly changed. If you want to change the widths of those terraces or distance between them, you should do so in the strata shader.
Better control can be gained by using a 100% soft simple shape, and adding a series of color adjusted steps. I made you a small sample. Instead of the color adjust, it's better to use a smooth step, as they have soft edges. Further slope control can be had by using a gain + scalar.

WAS

You can also translate a distribution shader and use offsets.

WAS

Also in the past we experimented creating a terracing function, it still suffers from some sharp edges though. You can apply it as a child of a surface layer.

Dune

Not if you use a smooth step series, like I explained.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on March 13, 2020, 02:34:34 AMNot if you use a smooth step series, like I explained.
Pretty sure that's what it used. For example look at yours, as it climbs the hill the edge gets sharper.

Dune

Yes, that's because I only used a smooth step for the lowest step. The others are (hard) color adjusts.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on March 15, 2020, 03:09:34 AMYes, that's because I only used a smooth step for the lowest step. The others are (hard) color adjusts.
Annoying the simple shape has falloff issuss, and colour adjusts clamp a little hard.