Space ballet

Started by Hannes, April 01, 2020, 01:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I dug out my ISS (originally a free untextured model by Chris Kuhn - unfortunately not available anymore, only textured and not free at Turbosquid), and put in some instances of a funny fat astronaut from Sketchfab. I had to repose the guy, but couldn't load it into Mixamo, so I just pushed some vertices around.

The best thing is to see, how much better the ISS looks with the path tracer.

DocCharly65

:o  ...  ???  ...  ::)  ...  :)  ...  :D  ...  ;D  .  ;D  .   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 
ingenious!

Dune

;D ;D ;D  That is super, Hannes! And the quality is indeed impeccable. It's probably fast rendering too, without any volumetric stuff.

Hannes

Thanks guys!! Yes, Ulco, each frame took about 18 minutes to render. Indeed no volumetric stuff, no atmosphere, so no need for a GI cache, and no flickering.

WAS

Lol, looks good. I saw that astronaut too and had a chuckle.

I feel the smooth metal parts of the metallic modules could use a foil like normal map. I dunno. Would look nice with the camera movements.

Hannes

Quote from: WAS on April 01, 2020, 04:06:20 AMI feel the smooth metal parts of the metallic modules could use a foil like normal map.
I'm not sure what you mean. Something to break up the shininess?

j meyer

;D Roly-poly astronauts, hilarious. ;D

sboerner

This is really great! Can you do a choreographed clip with a Tchaikovsky or Prokofiev soundtrack? (Or better yet Strauss, a la Kubrik.) Please?  :)

Hannes

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Funny, that you mention it. For a moment I was thinking about adding Strauss' Blue Danube as music.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on April 01, 2020, 05:00:01 AM
Quote from: WAS on April 01, 2020, 04:06:20 AMI feel the smooth metal parts of the metallic modules could use a foil like normal map.
I'm not sure what you mean. Something to break up the shininess?

Yeah, but I have it backwards actually. Those modules are a solid metal look, though it's more of a dull sheen IRL like aluminum.

But a lot of the white modules around fittings, windows, operator arms, etc, have white fabric-like material which is wrinkly (you have that). Some parts are foil like the Bigelow expandable module.

sboerner

QuoteFor a moment I was thinking about adding Strauss' Blue Danube as music.
Exactly. This must be done at some point. :) A project for a rainy day perhaps.

masonspappy

that's funny. Looks like oxygen and nitrogen aren't the only gases in those suits. ;)