Painted movie

Started by René, April 03, 2020, 12:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Dune

Interesting, but would it really be painted frame by frame? I guess a Photoshop filter would it a lot faster. So it's 'painted'.

Hannes

I just had a look at the website. He's using a software named Ebsynth. You can download it for free it seems. Very interesting. Thanks for the link, René!

René

Quote from: Dune on April 03, 2020, 01:44:09 AMInteresting, but would it really be painted frame by frame? I guess a Photoshop filter would it a lot faster. So it's 'painted'.
It wasn't painted frame by frame (they did for the Van Gogh animation a few years back, 65,000 paintings to be exact). In this example, the strokes of paint only shift with the movements of the face, but otherwise they remain in their spot. This would not have occurred if a separate painting had been made for each frame. It gives a much calmer look without wobbling brushstrokes I think.

Dune

Yes, I remember that one. You're right, it is very calm indeed.

WAS

He mentioned painting it in PS first, but not sure if he means manual or filters/smudging. It looks a little like posterization with light brush work and smudging with brushes.

WAS

I did these awhile back, no "painting" all just smudging source with lighting effects (isolation colour changes and dodge/burning) and toning.

I think the principle of the software is similar to the "moving art" seen in games like Thief and such, where the art is masked and morphed with layer effects etc. AI frame blending every X frames, cutting down source material over reference footage.