A memory usage problem?

Started by N-drju, April 12, 2020, 11:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I have a scene with some self-made objects added. Just two, mid-sized textures involved and two heavy textures. The objects themselves are about 300mb big.

I started fine-tuning the object placement using "smooth-shaded" option, then switching back to bounding boxes when I noticed something unpleasant happening. I checked the task manager and found TG eating away 15.1gb of my RAM!

When the scene is opened for the first time and idling, it consumes about 3.5gb at most. I fail to see the reason why view mode switching would cause this behavior. I would like to report this issue to Planetside or at least get to know if this is normal or not.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

jaf

I believe it's normal.  I just tried a scene that I made using a bunch of obj models (now tgo's).  On loading, it used 4gb.  Changing to wireframe, 5.1 gb. Textured is 6gb.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

I think preview uses GPU rather than CPU, so you need a heavy card. I don't have one, so I continually fiddle with box view and some pops as textured or shaded, especially when editing.

WAS

Huh.

I open a project. I insert 45mb object, I create a 10k population. Memory at 1.5gb. I change to wireframe, memory at 1.5gb. I change to textured, memory at 1.5gb... this object is also having it's twigs turned grayscale and PF colours added so should be extraneous on memory I'd think.

Terragen does have a pretty substantial memory leak, perhaps it's related there and something specific with the objects.

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on April 12, 2020, 02:38:19 PMHuh.

I open a project. I insert 45mb object, I create a 10k population. Memory at 1.5gb. I change to wireframe, memory at 1.5gb. I change to textured, memory at 1.5gb... this object is also having it's twigs turned grayscale and PF colours added so should be extraneous on memory I'd think.

Terragen uses instancing as object creation method, so it's not like you can just add up required memory per object and sum it up. If this was the case, even a simple 100x100m cube population would be impossible.

As for memory leaks, these have been laregly improved over the years so I'm more inclined to think this might indeed be what jaf says.

Also, take a note that plants (I guess we're discussing XFrog now) are, mostly, very light in terms of memory. You can't compare XFrog plants to a fully sculpted car or a human model.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 12, 2020, 03:57:32 PM
Quote from: WAS on April 12, 2020, 02:38:19 PMHuh.

Terragen uses instancing as object creation method, so it's not like you can just add up required memory per object and sum it up. If this was the case, even a simple 100x100m cube population would be impossible.

As for memory leaks, these have been laregly improved over the years so I'm more inclined to think this might indeed be what jaf says.

Also, take a note that plants (I guess we're discussing XFrog now) are, mostly, very light in terms of memory. You can't compare XFrog plants to a fully sculpted car or a human model.

But Jaf just explained what I just did and tested myself, with no change in memory. Like I said, this may be related to the object and what's happening with it.

And clearly population size impacts memory use, which is why so many people have problems with populations. Lol But the point I'm trying to make is viewing the population in different modes doesn't impact my 32gb of memory, at all. No change. So not sure what Jaf did or what type of object he used, and like I said may be object based. Mine was a TGO as well.

Also the memory leak I'm referring to has never been fixed in the 3 years I've taken notice. Only solution from people and Matt is to restart TG/PC. I demonstrated it too not too long back.