Scalar to Proportional Vector

Started by WAS, May 15, 2020, 05:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Does anyone know how you could build a vector, from a scalar, and have it be proportionate  (not leaning any which way) so it can than be further editing as a vector?

Matt

Use a Build Vector and plug the scalar into only one of the inputs. If you want the vector to point upwards, use the Y input.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Oh ok, than I can further manipulate and the X/Z would be handled from there by whatever additions?

Dune

Better work on the scalars before bringing them together into a vector.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 16, 2020, 01:59:10 AMBetter work on the scalars before bringing them together into a vector.
That then introduces the whole problem of proportional vector. You can't just pipe the same scalar with some edits into the X or Z without a terrible lean effect. You'd need to know the formula to normalize X and Z to actually work as X and Z. Sounds like Matt's way is straight forward as than you have X And Z to use vector functions on, and can pull those channels out to edit.

Dune

Then I probably don't get what you're aiming at.

WAS

A vector, that' proportional to the scalar, to than edit as a vector (X/Z). This isn't a terrain or anything. that I can just convert to vector. I mean I could with disp and disp to vector but that's sorta overkill.

WAS

Update on this, Matt's method doesn't work for X and Z modifiers. They are blank. Still unsure how to get something proportional on X Z, but it's either too much in either direction or no data.

Hetzen

Is the question, how can I get lateral displacements using vectors, to push a surface along it's normal in x z only?

I'm not sure what you mean by proportional.

WAS

I need data on X and Z that doesn't effect the shape when fed to a vector displacement. So it would be identical to the scalar fed a displacement shader.

I basic division is the key but I wanted to know what the exacting value would be for a 0-1 range.

WAS

Here is an example project. The transition from scalar disp to vector disp is still noticeable. Not perfect. And I don't want to go too far to effect data down the line when dealing with X/Z.

Hetzen

If you are trying to make a fake stones shader, you need to use a noise with vector information. So you have a centre to extrude from the noise.

WAS

No not fake stones. This is just purely an example.

It clearly seems doable, just finding the exact value. Hard to measure scalars.