Heightfield Auto-Calculate Re-Checking

Started by WAS, May 20, 2020, 02:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Can this feature be disabled? It's really getting annoying having projects get bugged and having to manually edit them or be faster than lighting to uncheck auto-calculate. If I manually uncheck it, it shouldn't recheck immediate when you generate. It should logically wait until I manually re-enable it. I'm often using classic erosion, which needs to erode first when I'm working on projects (I don't save ERD until done with terrain and actually baked a large resolution map) and sometimes I'm not ready to generate a heightmap out of shaders too when loading a project with new ideas.

Matt

Is this the Heightfield Generate? I can see why this is causing a problem.

Before this feature was added, most people were reloading their projects and didn't know why the terrain was missing. It must be off by default so that an ungenerated terrain won't be generated when the project loads, and we turn it on automatically when someone generates the terrain because most people are not going to remember to check it every time.

Your situation is a bit different because you need it to generate in a specific order. I was wondering if you could just click Abort when it loads, but it seems to not allow that, and that's a bug. I'll see if I can fix that.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

OK, I've fixed the Abort bug. When you click Abort it unchecks "Generate on load" so it doesn't keep trying to generate. I don't think it's wise to remove the automatic check when you press Generate because the UX should be optimized for the most common usage where the consequences of not having it set are more severe.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Oh awesome that should fix the problem all together. Anything is better than relying on lightning fast reflexes or having to exit out to edit the project.

N-drju

I have been experiencing this same behaviour, always wondered why does it happen. Thanks for the fix.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"