Terragen crashing on 4.4.67 64 bit 36 processor Windows 10 pro

Started by Shield Wulf, May 24, 2020, 03:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield Wulf

Terragen is crashing on me a lot of the time and it really makes me hesitant to work with the program.

I have a preview window open with a  network tab and 2 3D preview tabs one paused, so I can view the original 3D landscape generated upon opening the program, the other 3D preview is there to help me learn what the nodes in the node editor do to the terrain. Several times this morning when I was moving nodes from my node palette favorites window into to my node editor in the main program it would crash Terragen. The node editor was the only view I had open at that time I had closed the 3D view window in the main window area. Please see the attached screenshot showing which Windows I have open at the time when I try to move a node out of the node palette into the node editor.

If there is anything I can assist with this problem please let me know.

Thanks,
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is of utmost importance.

You are he who directs the sun ship of millions of years.......

Matt

Terragen 4 has problems with multiple 3D previews, and I suspect this is what's causing the crash. I will try to replicate your steps to see if that's really the cause.

Do you get crashes if there is only one 3D preview open?

What version are you using?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Shield Wulf

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. The version I am using is 4.4.67 64 bit.   I tried at first to get it to crash on me with only one 3D preview window. Couldn't get it crash then went back to 2 3d Preview windows and couldn't get it at all to crash until I tried selecting another node from my node palette to bring into the node editor. It appears to be something along the lines where if I am moving my mouse back to the node palette after just bringing in another node from the node palette. It's finicky for sure. I think it's related some action being done in the node palette again, but then I am not a programmer and never claimed to be one even at IBM in level 2 support. I feel like I am back at IBM support except for the fact that I don't have an angry customer on the phone yelling at me.   8-)
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is of utmost importance.

Matt

Thanks for the additional info. Moving the mouse over the windows has been one of the things that triggered bugs in the past, and it may be triggering this bug with multiple 3D previews. We took the ability to create extra 3D Previews out of the menus until we could fix it, but you are getting around our flimsy barricade by creating these 3D Preview tabs in a different way. I'll take another look and see if I can fix it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Shield Wulf

Thanks, Matt. For your response.  I'll try to keep tuned to this thread, and if you need to please feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Randy