Terragen 4.5.38: Anomalies.

Started by icarus51, July 03, 2020, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icarus51

Hi All.

After downloading TG 4.5.38 I find strange anomalies in the program.
Example: the exposure slider in Preview does not work. The rendering window sometimes remains black or full but with high brightness.
Activating OCIO in Project Settings the Preview window becomes dark without the possibility to adjust it with the exposure slider.
The Preview window no longer shows dark triangles or dark squares as it loads but only bright spots. I don't know if other problems exist but these already seem very strange to me, I have never encountered them before, up to version 4.4.67 included.
I attach some screen-shots that show these problems. What could cause them? I used the Standard Renderer. I also reinstalled Terragen with the Repair option but nothing has changed.
Thanks for any replies.

icarus51

Some windows are so dark that the scene is not seen, this is because being unable to adjust the light from the Preview exposure you cannot understand how much light the scene represents. Furthermore, the use of OCIO, if activated, makes the scene even darker and the aforementioned problem complicates it.
I don't know if I'm wrong or if there really is a bug. Can you tell me (who downloaded this update) if you have the same problems or something else?
Thank you.

Ps: I will make other renders with ready-made files on TG 4.4.67 to see what happens. The rest seems to be working but I have yet to understand the situation.

icarus51

Do
Quote from: icarus51 on July 03, 2020, 10:52:52 AMSome windows are so dark that the scene is not seen, this is because being unable to adjust the light from the Preview exposure you cannot understand how much light the scene represents. Furthermore, the use of OCIO, if activated, makes the scene even darker and the aforementioned problem complicates it.
I don't know if I'm wrong or if there really is a bug. Can you tell me (who downloaded this update) if you have the same problems or something else?
Thank you.

Ps: I will make other renders with ready-made files on TG 4.4.67 to see what happens. The rest seems to be working but I have yet to understand the situation.

Edit:
Do more tests and it works. So all right? No, because the mystery of the EV in Preview exhibition remains unpunished. How it was disabled.

Is this so, or is it a bug? I swear I don't understand, but maybe I'm the one who's wrong? If it is disabled, for what reason?  ::)

cyphyr

I just did a quick test and at least as far as the viewport is concerned I can confirm that the exposure slider is having no effect in the standard viewport. It is working with RTP activated though.
When Colour management is activated OCIO it seems to disable the exposure control. This may be intentional.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

The lack of exposure control in the preview is a bug resulting from the integration of colour management; I'll fix that in the next update.

Can you tell me more about the OCIO configuration you're using, so I can make Terragen smarter about it? Since you have the Display space set to Raw and the Rendering space is also not found, that would explain why the image is darker than it should be. I would expect a well set-up OCIO config to define a default display space which Terragen should detect. At the very minimum you'll need to choose a Display space and a Rendering space. Terragen tries to find appropriate spaces when it loads your OCIO config but it hasn't found what it's looking for in your config, so I'd like to understand it a bit better.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

mhaze

The erosion plugin is not working. On startup I get a message about entry point cannot be found! Ooops just discovered there's an update! But that's not working either?

icarus51

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I have get crazy for this problem. I thought to be idiot my self but now i see that this problem is real. OCIO Disabled don't change the Exposure block, on my PC.
Greetings

Edit:

Actually I didn't do any configuration on my computer even though I read something about it. I don't even know if I can do it, we'll see.

However I hope that the Exposure bug is solved because it is really bad to work like this.

Thanks.