NWDA's 2020 Theme Challenge - "Travelers"

Started by DannyG, May 12, 2020, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I mostly save as 32-bit exr, and/or 16-bit tif. So I opened the tgout, put my name on it and saved as jpg. The one manually saved was a bit adjusted (it needed very little), put a name on and saved as jpg as well. Sent both in, and didn't get a mail by Danny saying they were rejected, so...
I had to anyway, because the tif and exr were around 40MB. Even saving as png in good quality gave a file over 8MB, so max jpg was the way to go.
So I wouldn't worry too much, as far as you don't 'fiddle' with it.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on June 24, 2020, 01:07:20 AMSo I opened the tgout, put my name on it and saved as jpg. The one manually saved was a bit adjusted (it needed very little), put a name on and saved as jpg as well. Sent both in, and didn't get a mail by Danny saying they were rejected, so...
I had to anyway, because the tif and exr were around 40MB. Even saving as png in good quality gave a file over 8MB, so max jpg was the way to go.

Thanks Ulco. This is quite reassuring. I hope you guys don't mind me asking all these basic questions.

And yes - PNGs offer really good quality, but, quite disappointingly, are far heavier than .jpg or .tiff.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 24, 2020, 01:07:20 AMI had to anyway, because the tif and exr were around 40MB. Even saving as png in good quality gave a file over 8MB, so max jpg was the way to go.

Well I wish I had seen this before.

The 8mb limit was just a limitation of the web page submission form. It allows any limit, and though the server itself is set for 128mb. However, the script for some reason would either have CAPTCHA fail, or the whole submission timeout if over 8mb.

However direct submissions via email was not limited by this and could handle larger direct submissions, such as gathered projects.

Apologies for not seeing this and making this clear. :\

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on July 07, 2020, 02:57:31 PMThe 8mb limit was just a limitation of the web page submission form. It allows any limit, and though the server itself is set for 128mb. However, the script for some reason would either have CAPTCHA fail, or the whole submission timeout if over 8mb.

However direct submissions via email was not limited by this and could handle larger direct submissions, such as gathered projects.

Guess you'll need to fix it next time. To be honest, I was, in fact, surprised that a file size limit has been there in the first place.

It doesn't even seem to be a justifiable condition, as I'm sure NWDA has enough disk space to collect even larger files.
;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

DannyG

The file size restrictions have been in place since NWDA started challenges, so there is nothing to fix. The idea behind this is not to deter users from using a free or trial version. As with most software, these come with render size restrictions
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

N-drju

I guess I didn't make myself clear.

What I meant by "fixing" was making it clear to the contestants that mail-sent entries need to respect the file size limit too if, like Jordan says, technically it is possible to send such entry, effectively, circumventing the limit set by the contest registration form. Otherwise, someone might argue that their, say, 10mb image was rejected despite the fact that the mail system reached the destination, ergo, accepted the entry.

Or am I getting too legal? :P

DannyG

Not sure why you are going on about this ....  it says in the rules man:
Image Size – 0.6MB Min – 8MB Max
That's the size requirement for the Challenge. That's it ... If that's not clear or straight forward enough for a contestant then I cannot help them.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram