Image Map Displacement on Imported Objects

Started by KlausK, July 24, 2020, 05:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Ever so popular discussion about my/the struggle with -->> see "Subject".
Recent discussion in this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=28114.15;last_msg=279766

Example:
- Object imported from LightWave, b/w image map connected to the Default Shader / Displacement input.
Force Raytracing for the object turned ON. Shadow doesn`t reflect the displacement.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

Here is the same object, same image map but now connected to the Mesh Displacer on the Mesh Modifier tab of the imported object.
No need to change the Render Method now. Leave at "Default".
The shadows are correct and reflect the displacement.
Object and map have to be very high res or it looks like this.

Remember that you must disconnect and reconnect the Image Shader from the Object again and again after making changes
in the Image Map Shader. Terragen still cannot read those changes and display in the 3D Preview.
If you forget that you might think your setup is not working.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

And if you notice:
loading the image map directly into the image slot on the Default Shader / Displacement tab
gives you a different result than the Mesh Displacer.

I find I do have trouble to get the result I want almost every time.

CHeers, Klaus

ps: search for "Mesh Displacer" and you`ll find a lot of threads discussing this topic. Information is scattered all over the place.

Kadri

Quote from: KlausK on July 24, 2020, 06:21:27 AM...
Remember that you must disconnect and reconnect the Image Shader from the Object again and again after making changes
in the Image Map Shader. Terragen still cannot read those changes and display in the 3D Preview.
If you forget that you might think your setup is not working.

CHeers, Klaus
I had trouble to see anything in the past. Maybe it was this.