Deep Arctic Patrol

Started by WAS, July 28, 2020, 01:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

The USS Texas on deep arctic patrol

WIP - All done in TG besides post processing. Model textured in TG.

Originally one of my many concepts for the travelers concepts, though I was only able to get the model a couple of days ago.

Also, Hi, haven't shared here in a while...

Dune

Cool start. Curious where you'll take this. It's not often you post renders, so keep at it.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on July 28, 2020, 01:56:48 AMCurious where you'll take this

I actually wanted to do a period piece, cause there was a really nice U-Boat I saw, but I couldn't find literally any other nations submarines of period. All U-Boats. :\

And for modern subs it seems to be the opposite. Couple modern US Attack Subs.

So I guess my ideas of a Hunter/Prey scenario is shot.

Also thought about a torpedo being launched, but the artist forgot torpedo hatches. :P I can probably add them.

N-drju

I can make you a generic sub if you want. Insignia UV included, so you can get the battle going. ;)

Good to see a render like this - underwater images are pretty rare around here.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Kadri

Looks good Jordan.
Just a little less distant visibility maybe?

sboerner

Nice lighting. PT with translucent ice?

Surface of ice maybe needs more detail. But this is a small quibble. Great scene.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on July 28, 2020, 06:17:24 AMLooks good Jordan.
Just a little less distant visibility maybe?

This I was having trouble fiddling with it. Actually spent 2 days on lighting alone trying to get godrays from luminosity, etc. The light from Ice cascades for awhile, but the depth of the water creeps up. Balancing this in TG is actually proving really hard, as because of distance my volume cloud wants to obscure the surface, or if I disable shadows, brighten up the whole water volume and surface lighting. Lol Oi. And you'd think at a distance I could get the volume to just glow like it does in reference shots, but it still lets definition of the light through, or completely obscures it. Can't get a in-between with a glow and blocked detail.
Quote from: sboerner on July 28, 2020, 10:40:17 AMNice lighting. PT with translucent ice?

Surface of ice maybe needs more detail. But this is a small quibble. Great scene.

This is standard render as I couldn't get my reflectivity to actually look underwater because it wants to ray trace all reflections with no-middle grounds or separate specular shader to spoof.

The ice is just a plane with some displacement and luminosity lighting and translucency for the deeper parts of the ice lacking light. I did try PT ice with glass, but ai think the inverter plane causes more issues for Shadow processing, and I couldn't actually get the volume to work right with the sun/sky above. 

I also did have a lot more detail going in but it was tearing the surface in areas letting through the sun, but i have since just disabled the sun altogether so should be able to go nuts on the ice, thanks for reminding me.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on July 28, 2020, 04:43:28 AMI can make you a generic sub if you want. Insignia UV included, so you can get the battle going. ;)

Good to see a render like this - underwater images are pretty rare around here.

Definitely interested. :)

luvsmuzik

Very interested to see follow ups on this one. Your godrays did pretty well through that thick ice. I know it is hard to balance the underwater elements. Good job!