Rock Object UV

Started by WAS, August 04, 2020, 04:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Seems like the rock objects UV is a little whacked in the polar region. Textures don't work right. I noticed this before trying to use PBR Materials in the past, but forgot about it when trying to do some basic coral. Thought I'd make note of it here.

I tried subdivided, or not, as well as 10 - 64 - 256 - 512 - 1024 -2048 faces. Seems it just out of my control.

Matt

The texture coordinates are in 3D; they are not UVs. If you treat them as UVs then you're only using the X and Y coordinates; in other words you are doing a projection along the Z axis.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

So wait. But it's a spheroid?  How would one go about proportionate texturing from image? Plan Y for example will just present the same problem on it's terminator with the ground.

Dune

Might not even be possible, as spherical projection needs a central location for each rock. What I sometimes do with image maps is mix several projections as good and bad as it goes.

WAS

Hmmm true. But with how primitive the rock object is, especially with low faces you'd think a UV could be easily baked on the fly like mesh displacing.

Dune

Also true. But that's for Matt to implement.