Arctic Surveilance

Started by Dune, August 03, 2020, 01:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

WAS' endeavour to make a sub-ice render made me do a little experimention as well. The ice is an inverted, no shadow sphere, colored by illumination, translucency and color, followed by a no-highlight RT reflective shader. The murk was a tricky part, as the illumintaion of the ice also lightened up the murk, which I wanted dark. So it couldn't be too light. Maybe a glass shader with SSS would have worked better, but I didn't try that.
The U99 I once found on the web, but I have no idea who to credit. Sharks neither. Actually, sharks probably don't exist in the Arctic, but well....
Big render took 1,5hour, standard renderer.

Hannes

Wow, this looks really cool!!! Great job, Ulco!

WAS

Yeah the muck/volume gets very interactive with luminosity, but you can lessen this by turning down the Ambient Light of the cloud.

These look good. No shadow sphere, so using clouds like I did? I do wish we had a semi-opacity to just make this easy so the light matches more perfectly.

Colouring the sun may help with the light diffusing through thin ice.

masonspappy

Dune

I have no idea how you used clouds, Was, but I had three layers; one for shadows (which I did in my trout/salmon renders), one for murk, and an extra one for some extra beams. It would indeed be great if one sun would throw all the right light through a pack of ice, but that's not how it works, alas.

mhaze

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 04, 2020, 01:52:51 AMI have no idea how you used clouds, Was, but I had three layers; one for shadows (which I did in my trout/salmon renders), one for murk, and an extra one for some extra beams. It would indeed be great if one sun would throw all the right light through a pack of ice, but that's not how it works, alas.

What I did is I based my displacement from noise, and used that noise to plot the shadow clouds in world space. The clouds are calculated to be at about the top of the ice sphere/plane so the shadows cast as correct as possible. I made my 5m thick with, adjusted noise to be harder, and played with density.

Dune

Yes, that sounds logical. Especially if you stretch Y it'll fit pretty perfect, unless you put your clouds too high, then the sun angle will make problems.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 06, 2020, 02:23:08 AMYes, that sounds logical. Especially if you stretch Y it'll fit pretty perfect, unless you put your clouds too high, then the sun angle will make problems.

Haven't tried Y stretching actually and that sounds promising and may match up the light closer.

PS I shared a study version for everyone to take a look at in file sharing. Figured it's useful to look at for the tricks of lighting, also tried to play with a "eroded looking" terrain and sand look of sorts to make it seem like sand is constantly disturbed and redistributed by undertoe currents as the flows progress and depth changes. This idea comes from Memory and likely not accurate..was from a docu where the ice sometimes only left meters for water to flow before the seabed, occasionally even less space.

Dune

I found that indeed. You did a very good job at that. Renders nice and fast too.

Jonathan

Lovely pic Ulco - the submarine captain is obviously a highly skilled navigator!
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Dune

WAS

Now I'm on a search for a Greenland shark cause of these scenes. No luck so far (Besides this inaccurate 300+ dollar model; wtf: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-animation-greenland-shark/835695)

Stormlord

The Submarine is from the Collection of Anders Lejczak

He can be found here and has some cool downloads
http://www.colacola.se/

The submarine is here...
https://www.colacola.se/expo_uboot.htm

Sub Experiment.jpg

Another very old experiment...

STORMLORD