Terragen 4.4.67 for Mac

Started by raymoh, August 26, 2020, 02:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymoh

Sorry for the double posting ("also in Announcements):

"We're behind on the Mac builds as we're adjusting to new security requirements on macOS Catalina, and we are working to bring the Mac up to speed as soon as we can."

Excuse me if I'm pushing a little bit here, but folks, macOS Big Sur will already be released in autumn, and you are (still) adapting Terragen for Catalina? Or have I missed something? I have a sense of foreboding...
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

WAS

Still wondering how future ARM-based CPUs will affect TG as well. I am sure those CPUs can do it, but I do wonder about speed considering per-core clock speeds and instruction sets. I'm not sure why Mac is further sabotaging their consumers with gimmicks. I mean I don't know what the future desktop ARM-based CPUs will have to offer, but current Chrome based ones aren't very powerful.

Matt

v4.4.67 is available as a Release Candidate with updated notarization so that it runs without security warnings on Catalina.

There is a new OpenGL issue on high res displays caused by recent changes to the OS. That is being fixed and we'll release an update very soon. In the mean time you may be able to work around this by doing a Get Info on the app and choosing "Open in Low Resolution" in the Info window.

If Big Sur throws us new challenges we will do our best to meet them.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on August 26, 2020, 03:37:33 PMStill wondering how future ARM-based CPUs will affect TG as well. I am sure those CPUs can do it, but I do wonder about speed considering per-core clock speeds and instruction sets. I'm not sure why Mac is further sabotaging their consumers with gimmicks. I mean I don't know what the future desktop ARM-based CPUs will have to offer, but current Chrome based ones aren't very powerful.

I think the only people who know the answers to this are under NDA. It will be interesting to see. If the performance is high enough, unifying all their platforms could be a genius move.

raymoh

Quote from: Matt on August 26, 2020, 11:51:01 PMIf Big Sur throws us new challenges we will do our best to meet them
Please do not take it personally:
I know you're doing your best, but in the end this would mean that Mac versions in the worst case would be released more often with a few months delay in the future (Terragen 4.4.67 for Windows was released at the end of May 2020)...
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 26, 2020, 11:57:52 PM
Quote from: WAS on August 26, 2020, 03:37:33 PMStill wondering how future ARM-based CPUs will affect TG as well. I am sure those CPUs can do it, but I do wonder about speed considering per-core clock speeds and instruction sets. I'm not sure why Mac is further sabotaging their consumers with gimmicks. I mean I don't know what the future desktop ARM-based CPUs will have to offer, but current Chrome based ones aren't very powerful.

I think the only people who know the answers to this are under NDA. It will be interesting to see. If the performance is high enough, unifying all their platforms could be a genius move.

Must be, I can't find much information. I do know that it is a bad move really though. All they are doing is merging the gap with their tablets, which are also weak, and also not even that popular anymore.

Think of it like this, games will all have to be recompiled just for their processors, which is likely not going to happen for many games. Even on Desktop EXE's have to be compiled with many CPUs in mind. For example Mortal Kombat X (10) was compiled with no AMD APU support or Xeons, and when I upgraded my PC from my Xeon, also didn't support A10. It works on Ryzen 5, but performance is crap for some reason, with a CPU/GPU combo way above it's  recommended release specs.

3D Programs will likely have to be compiled with legacy support for those that are still going to be using larger mac desktops, while also including support for ARM, or splitting packages and supporting legacy separate. Sure a lot to ask of developers for a CPU which will likely underperform.

This also means all the Mac users that have gotten used to (finally) being able to upgrade their systems with new hardware, will also likely be sabotaged and have to wait for unique hardware designed to work with their ARM based CPUs.

I do wonder how a "true" desktop ARM cpu will scale though. You can stack them (core wise) at extremes even in a phone.

pclavett

Just upgraded my Terragen License and saw the MAC issue. I understand your problems when systems are changed and hope you can keep giving us the upgrades ....... and the fact that they come a bit later is still within my tolerance ! The stability of this software is such that it is worth the wait !
If Apple messes things up with these new processors...... they will lose this cult member (me) !!!
Appreciate all your work !
Paul

pclavett

OHHHH.....BTW...... there was no button option for the candidate release for MAC...... the only option was for the last release 4.4.44 !
If there is another link for that download would it be possible to get it on this thread !
Thanks again !
Paul

Matt

Quote from: pclavett on August 31, 2020, 01:36:40 PMOHHHH.....BTW...... there was no button option for the candidate release for MAC...... the only option was for the last release 4.4.44 !
If there is another link for that download would it be possible to get it on this thread !
Thanks again !
Paul

I have added 4.4.67 RC to the Update Checker today, so now you can reach it using Check for Updates.

I'm expecting another update in the next few days to fix the OpenGL high-res display issue.

pclavett

pclavett

Another question Matt...... I have avoided going above Mohave to prevent problems....... is Catalina or Big Sur well supported by Terragen ???
Thanks !
Paul

Quinlan

Not sure if this comment is of help to anyone, but with regard to the HighRes display issue (assuming this is the reduced preview window and node windows locked to postage stamp size) if you have a spare none high res monitor and attach that, the Terragen widows return to normal size on the attached monitor even though the programme is running on a high spec machine. Render window doesn't seem to have a size problem.

Matt

Quote from: pclavett on September 03, 2020, 08:54:41 AMAnother question Matt...... I have avoided going above Mohave to prevent problems....... is Catalina or Big Sur well supported by Terragen ???

If you're using Terragen 4.4 I think it should be good with Mojave and Catalina now.

I don't have enough info on Big Sur compatibility to confirm anything yet, but if there are any problems with the final release I'll make it a priority to fix them.

Matt

Mac Build 4.4.68 RC is now available through Check for Updates.

pclavett

Appreciate all your work Matt !
Paul