Semi-Transparency Dead in 4.5 Frontier

Started by WAS, August 26, 2020, 05:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Sad day, the only method for smooth semi-opacity has been broken in TG. Now parts of your mask at 1 are all the same semi-transparency-ness as any other tone in the mask. :(

Matt

I am working on a fix now.

In the mean time you can use a Merge Shader to handle the mixing - that works.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on August 26, 2020, 09:47:58 PMIn the mean time you can use a Merge Shader to handle the mixing - that works.

Oh thank you! And thanks for looking into the original issue as well. This was a cool "hack" of sorts.

This actually saves me cause I'm making my brown dwarf I'm working on luminous itself instead of external light, and that messes up the rings lighting due to it being a cloud, so gotta switch methods for the rings.

WAS

Seems to be working for standard renderer in 4.5.42, but for the PT, even though it's double-sided, there is complete blurring of objects on the other side of the semi-transparency card.

Reflection for the moon on top of the rings (large moon) is fine, but the underside of the planet, and the other 3 moons are blurred.

Matt

You need to set the roughness to 0, otherwise it will scatter light even if it's double-sided/thin-walled.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Hmm. I think the issue is with this setup. Cause I have it all zero'd for the semi-transparency, but for the reflection of the rings, which I sorta need for the reflection of the top large moon. So I guess I'll have to move all of the moons above the plane. But the reflection is masked to the ring alpha I thought.