TG 4543 Node tar.gz

Started by WAS, October 07, 2020, 01:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I've downloaded it twice now, and uploaded it numerous times including zipped to try and preserve it, but I can't use tar to unzip the archive. It say it's not a proper "Tar" file, and if I force j for tar.gz it says it's not a valid bzip2 file.

Matt

On CentOS I can simply double click on the .tar.gz file to open it or use the right-click menu to extract it.

On the command line this usually works:

tar xf Terragen_4_Linux_4543-f.tar.gz

If none of those work, try this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/25347/what-command-do-i-need-to-unzip-extract-a-tar-gz-file
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Yeah I'm not sure what's wrong with the archive. Like I said, I downloaded it a couple of times. I've used Linux for decades, this appears to be a broken archive.

PS renamed it because I have been trying a lot, and typing the full thing out was getting annoying.

was@3denv:~/Terragen$ tar -xf TG4543.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

was@3denv:~/Terragen$ tar -jxf TG4543.tar.gz
bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

was@3denv:~/Terragen$ tar xvzf TG4543.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

WAS

Is that link still valid that you gave me? Maybe it messed up the archive in file handling?

Matt

I see it now. The upload was corrupted. It seemed to be OK when I downloaded it and viewed it on Windows, but it's not. I'll fix it in a moment.

WAS

Cool. One thing I notice about the download headers, is it doesn't send a file size (byte length) so it if it fails at any point, it doesn't know it's "Failed" as it doesn't know what the full size of the file is. Least on Firefox this happens with unknown file size downloads.

WAS

It's still showing corrupt for 7zip and winrar. Though I already updated TGD so I can't get a fresh frontier link even if that check works, so it may be the link I have. Still unsure why the frontier/update checks mainly don't work for me. I open Terragen dozens of times a day and maybe get it once in a blue moon, despite waiting for updates because usually there are renders going. Checking for updates seems to always get latest version back. I do have TG allowed in firewall, but have other settings which may interfere though.

Matt

If I download the .tar.gz from a different server it works. So I think the file is getting double-gzipped when downloaded from planetside.co.uk:

https://itectec.com/superuser/extracting-a-tar-gz-file-returns-this-does-not-look-like-a-tar-archive/

I will get this fixed, but in the mean time maybe this gives you the info you need to extract the archive?

WAS

Yep, extracting with gzip and than just tar extraction works. Weird though, cause that's what tar.gz is, a gzipped tar, so I think it's more the archive itself, cause that is normal for a tar.gz to be a gzipped tar. There could be flags being passed that need special handling. Using J should force gzip extraction first.

Matt

I'm glad that worked. It's not a problem with the original archive though, and it depends where we download it from. The server is applying an extra round of gzip when it serves the download, as mentioned in the link above.

WAS

Curiously I tried gzip --verbose and it seems to be just unzippinh a TAR from the GZIP, no second extraction from another GZIP.