SSS and clouds

Started by WAS, December 26, 2020, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

When I use  clouds for like fog, and stick a SSS model in it, it seems to glow with the cloud colour, despite volume density and colour at one and even ramping down decay distance to nearly nothing. So when I mix together the SSS and default shader, the transmission areas are glowing.  This explains why I couldn't use SSS on my Derelict scene because of the godrays haze. I thought it was just scale and I couldn't find a sweet spot for SSS and gave but, but even here, reducing to nothing doesn't help.

First screen: SSS only
Second screen: SSS Only
Third screen: Default shader only

Hannes

Confirmed.

Hannes

So, unless Matt has a solution for this, I'd say rendering an extra atmosphere (fog-) pass and comp everything together later would be a compromise.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on December 27, 2020, 06:55:44 AMSo, unless Matt has a solution for this, I'd say rendering an extra atmosphere (fog-) pass and comp everything together later would be a compromise.

I don't think that would be satisfactory for the planned scene with water surface reflections, lighting from the fog on objects/plants/scene etc. All the elements would just be rendered in pure sun with a opacity haze overlayed in comp in my head; where there would be no proper calculation in lighting and colour.

Hannes

Yes, it would only be a very cheap solution. So I hope Matt will chime in.

Matt

Can one of you provide a TGD? I have tried various ways to reproduce this but I haven't succeeded yet.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

Sure. No problem.

Matt

Thanks. I am working with it now to figure out what's causing it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

Great! Thanks, Matt. Although this isn't my thread, I'm very curious about it, because I love to play with subsurface scattering and I never noticed this behaviour.
I also tried to increase the volume density and played with the decay distance like Jordan did, but it didn't solve the problem.

WAS

Yeah, definitely a little strange. It reminds me of when I was using a merge shader with a luminosity surface and a SSS surface to manually create this sort of effect.

The effect did actually look realistic on the eye. Now that I've looked at enough and compared IRL; how their eyes look underwater, so I may isolate the eyeball and actually do a merge with a luminosity shader for that effect.