Testing the new 5950x

Started by N-drju, December 31, 2020, 11:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I picked up my new 5950x-outfitted machine on Tuesday and ran some tests together with the Constructor.

We ran Passmark and Cinebench benchmarks and it was an absolute blast - both benchmarks have returned wonderful results and the new CPU just outclassed all other COTS processors listed. Of course, with the sole exception of the Threadripper series.

Later, came the most important test - the TG benchmark. And again, the CPU just gobbled it up in 4:12 on the first run, and 4:21 in the second attempt.

Compared to my last system (which was a lap-top, doh!) the difference is absolutely stunning. I will be able to render four times as fast (which gives about twice as much time for tweaking. ;) ) There is a world of difference between 20 and just about 5 hours... 

Looks like it has been a really good (if a little expensive) purchase. I really look forward to working with this new system. I still have to buy a decent screen and a keyboard. Might take up to one week given the Covid shop closures. But the important thing is that the "tool" is finally home!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

What did you pay for the whole system with the chip? I am finding really inconsistent prices when I've looked. I did want to upgrade my system, but looks like I should just get another. But $399-$1,199.00 between distributors is ridiculous! It's like their is some sort of internal game being played. Cause the cheap distributors are often out of stock, while the most expensive has stock. Lol

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on December 31, 2020, 03:24:29 PMI am finding really inconsistent prices when I've looked. I did want to upgrade my system, but looks like I should just get another. But $399-$1,199.00 between distributors is ridiculous! It's like their is some sort of internal game being played. Cause the cheap distributors are often out of stock, while the most expensive has stock. Lol
That's exactly what I have experienced. I agree! I actually paid about 150EUR more for my CPU as a "priority purchase". Otherwise I might have been waiting for it for the next month or so.

Not sure what is happening, but indeed - it looks like the supply is scarce. But rest assured I'd say this is really worth the money. Considering my anticipated business profile (target?), this CPU will be efficient enough for at least 8-10 years.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I envy you (not really, of course :P ). Congratulations on your system, seems like a very worthy purchase. Hoping to see plenty of your renders now! It's hooked on the net, I assume and on Win 10?

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on January 01, 2021, 04:17:12 AMI envy you (not really, of course :P ). Congratulations on your system, seems like a very worthy purchase. Hoping to see plenty of your renders now! It's hooked on the net, I assume and on Win 10?
Thanks Ulco.  :) Indeed, I plan to re-render my portfolio and finally start posting to Artstation. I'll be happy to resume sharing my designs.

As for your question - no and yes. The NIC cable is disconnected and Windows 10 is installed.

Dune

I'd like to know how you fare with the new rig, if you encounter any problems. I'm still deciding, that's why. Good luck with your business, I hope you'll sell your work. I have no clue about that market's profitability.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 01, 2021, 07:11:29 AMI'd like to know how you fare with the new rig, if you encounter any problems.
Do you mean with Windows 10 being offline? If so, I have a laptop I use in my back with Windows 10, and it hasn't been online for over a year. It's also unregistered, apparently that's why it was so cheap from China (literally 49.99 for a new ultrabook lol). No issues though with it, no complaints either. I've brought some installs over from a USB but haven't had it online.

Dune

Yes. Thanks, WAS, good to know that.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on January 01, 2021, 07:11:29 AMI'd like to know how you fare with the new rig, if you encounter any problems. I'm still deciding, that's why. Good luck with your business, I hope you'll sell your work. I have no clue about that market's profitability.
Well, it is an unchartered territory for me as well. However, Artstation has a very robust and large print section in their Marketplace which is almost an independent webpage. Accordingly, I presume this has to be an attractive place for buyers.

Perhaps Jordan could correct me, but the Internet connected-OS shouldn't play a role in an air-gapped computer. If I remember correctly, you don't have an Internet connection on your Win 8 workstation either. Is that correct?

WAS

A air-gapped computer should NEVER be exposed to the internet. It should be behind a firewalled network, not even a normal local area network over a router. It shouldn't be connected to any network, where any PC is connected to an unsecure network, or the internet.

An example; Enterprise clients at the old datacenter I worked couldn't even setup a server from the internet, they had to call, and it would be set up through the air-gapped system where their sensitive information is stored, then server(s) set up for them on the datacenter network.

Dune

I checked out Artstation again yesterday, and it seems like the place to be.

I'm on win 7 and indeed, no internet connection at all. No local network either, so if uploading (or downlading a new build or so) I need to copy to a stick and stick it in an another pc. And of course, win 10 should also work airgapped/offline once all is installed and running. I admit, I'm a dinosaur  ::)

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on January 02, 2021, 04:16:43 PMA air-gapped computer should NEVER be exposed to the internet. It should be behind a firewalled network, not even a normal local area network over a router. It shouldn't be connected to any network, where any PC is connected to an unsecure network, or the internet.
Good to know. Kind of like I imagine this setup. But that of course involves a well-protected Internet computer for uploads.
Quote from: Dune on January 03, 2021, 02:12:37 AMI'm on win 7 and indeed, no internet connection at all. No local network either, so if uploading (or downlading a new build or so) I need to copy to a stick and stick it in an another pc. And of course, win 10 should also work airgapped/offline once all is installed and running. I admit, I'm a dinosaur  ::)
When I spoke with the Builder, he did not mention any problems running Win 10 offline, so I'm sure it will be "business as usual".

I now need a decent screen and a nice keyboard. I think I'll go for an UHD-1 format and Logitech G413.

Dune

Eizo has good color-reliable screens.

N-drju

I made an inaugural full-sized (4800x3600) rendering on Saturday. MPD = 0.717, AA = 7, high GI values, lots of grass and tree objects and some fine geometry.

A rendering which took 28 hours on my previous machine, has been completed in exactly 4 hours. The case and my new CPU was not even lukewarm during the process - perfect cooling all the way down to last bucket. This new rig is really a bullseye shot. :) Well worth the long wait.

Dune