Update to 4.5 offered despite an expired maintenance?

Started by N-drju, January 15, 2021, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

TG has detected the 4.5.65 update, despite the fact that my maintenance contract has expired during 4.4.67 version. :o

Is it ok to download this update and continue using TG commercialy like before? Or not really?

Thanks. Waiting for your reply.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: MattThese builds are under the 4.5.x maintenance umbrella, so if you have a perpetual license but your maintenance expired on or after after July 1, 2020, they are still included with your license.

Did you expire on/after July 1st? Maybe this applies.

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on January 15, 2021, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: MattThese builds are under the 4.5.x maintenance umbrella, so if you have a perpetual license but your maintenance expired on or after after July 1, 2020, they are still included with your license.

Did you expire on/after July 1st? Maybe this applies.
I'm not sure. But I do think it must have been around summer.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll just wait for Matt to confirm.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Kevin F

KlausK

Why not just login to your account at planetside and check the date you bought your license...
in the release notes it is clearly stated who needs to update his/her license and who does not to install this release.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

N-drju

Well, I expired on 7th August 2020, so according to the release notes I should not download this.

But if we take into account what Jordan quotes, I actually can download. I'm lost really...

So many questions, so little Matt. ;)

KlausK

Not sure what it is you still need to be confirmed...
Since your maintenance expired ON or AFTER 2020-07-01 you are good to go.
Where in the release notes is this stated otherwise?

When you go to "Buy", "Maintenance Renewal" on the planetside homepage, then log in to your account the first thing
you should see is the page that allows you to download the installers. Which gives you the information you need.

Anyway, you simply might as well install 4.5.56 and see what happens (make a backup of your license first...)

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

N-drju

Quote from: KlausK on January 21, 2021, 04:33:02 AMNot sure what it is you still need to be confirmed...
Since your maintenance expired ON or AFTER 2020-07-01 you are good to go.
Where in the release notes is this stated otherwise?

Not sure if we understand "release notes" the same way. But I am certain about this - one year maintenance coming with TG:C stands in direct contradiction to an update offer coming half year past expiry.

If Matt is okay with me using his software commercially with this update, that's fine. But I'd like to hear it from him.

I can't see anything wrong with trying to contact the person to whom Terragen is the magnum opus. What's so surprising about it?

Besides, I have other issues to discuss with Matt and this is why I need his assistance. I wrote him an e-mail too. Unfortunately, there is no sign of life coming from him since almost two weeks now. I feel disappointed with that. I just hope he's okay and not a Covid in-patient or something.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on January 22, 2021, 02:11:52 AMUnfortunately, there is no sign of life coming from him since almost two weeks now. I feel disappointed with that. I just hope he's okay and not a Covid in-patient or something.

Well that's depressing to think about. I sure hope not and he's just having fun taking a break or something.

KlausK

Well, all I am trying to say is, that your license decides if the update will be activated.
My maintenace expired on July, 2nd 2020 and after installing the update the license recognized it as TG Pro.
That`s all. The intention here was to save you some time while waiting for a confirmation.

CHeers, Klaus

N-drju

Quote from: KlausK on January 22, 2021, 05:10:13 AMWell, all I am trying to say is, that your license decides if the update will be activated.
My maintenace expired on July, 2nd 2020 and after installing the update the license recognized it as TG Pro.
That`s all. The intention here was to save you some time while waiting for a confirmation.

CHeers, Klaus

Ok, I guess I didn't quite know what you were referring to, hence the misunderstanding. It makes sense now, so thanks for the input.

I'll be setting my new machine up this weekend. I hope the license key retains the newest update and recognizes it as TG:C.

Matt

Hi N-drju,

Your maintenance includes all 4.5.xx builds, even if they are released after your maintenance expired. Our current policy is to try to keep the maintenance cutoff date the same for all builds within a minor version group (e.g. 4.5 is one group and 4.4 is another), although there may be exceptions to this. For Terragen 4.5.xx builds the cutoff date is July 1st, 2020. Frontier builds of 4.5 were available in July.

Recently we started adding this information to the public change logs here: https://planetside.co.uk/change-logs/ . For example the 4.5.56 change log has a line that says "Included in Maintenance up to July 1, 2020." This information is also included on the download page which is accessed from your purchase history when you log into your account.

It might not be stated on the download page when you Check for Updates within the application, but if the update checker is working correctly it should only take you to versions that are included in your maintenance.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.