Reset preferences? (Mac Help)

Started by pixelpusher636, February 27, 2021, 11:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

I'm not sure if a Terragen version or OS will help someone answer this question properly (let me know) but here is the issue.

On Mac when switching between layout tabs, double clicking a node, selecting through the Parameter/Settings Pane. Pretty much everything - Though this is where the lag ends. After whatever action I choose has loaded, it's fine. It's extremely annoying because it's a few seconds of a delay every action. I have a few versions of Terragen on my system and it happens with all versions. It's not a slow system (arguably) as I've duel booted windows and downloaded the Windows version which does not suffer from this issue. It hasn't always been this way on Mac either. I've picked Terragen up and put it down a lot over the years and have restored hard dives to new systems. Impossible to know when or what happened. Is their possibly a preference folder that needs trashing maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Jay
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

raymoh

Unfortunately, I can't help you either, but at least I can confirm your observations. On the one hand, the delays have to do with the way the "Render Preview" works. Whenever you change something in your settings, the preview tries to update itself. If you are now faster with your changes, than the preview can redisplay itself, it comes to these annoying delays. It doesn't help if you manually turn off the Render Preview. At the latest when you enlarge the "Node Network" tab to have more overview and change your settings there, the Render Preview will switch on again unintentionally and cause these response delays again. With certain "sensitive" settings, working too fast will even cause the entire program to crash.
On the other hand, Terragen slows down the longer you work with it. After a few hours of intensive and continuous work with Terragen, the program becomes unbearably slow and you will have to take a forced break, save data and turn off the program for a while. After a coffee break you can usually work with it again.
The above statements apply only to the Mac versions and correspond to my personal experience. I don't know if similar delays occur under Windows.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

pixelpusher636

Quote from: raymoh on March 02, 2021, 01:16:12 PMUnfortunately, I can't help you either, but at least I can confirm your observations. On the one hand, the delays have to do with the way the "Render Preview" works. Whenever you change something in your settings, the preview tries to update itself. If you are now faster with your changes, than the preview can redisplay itself, it comes to these annoying delays. It doesn't help if you manually turn off the Render Preview. At the latest when you enlarge the "Node Network" tab to have more overview and change your settings there, the Render Preview will switch on again unintentionally and cause these response delays again. With certain "sensitive" settings, working too fast will even cause the entire program to crash.
On the other hand, Terragen slows down the longer you work with it. After a few hours of intensive and continuous work with Terragen, the program becomes unbearably slow and you will have to take a forced break, save data and turn off the program for a while. After a coffee break you can usually work with it again.
The above statements apply only to the Mac versions and correspond to my personal experience. I don't know if similar delays occur under Windows.

Thanks for the reply Raymoh!
I have experienced all of the same issues as you. However the biggest annoyance yet is the delay between every single action. It's like someone is playing a cruel prank. Taking an already time intensive task (3D modeling/Rendering) and unnecessarily prolonging it more for good measure. 😀 

WAS

Quote from: pixelpusher636 on March 03, 2021, 08:39:04 AMIt's like someone is playing a cruel prank. Taking an already time intensive task (3D modeling/Rendering) and unnecessarily prolonging it more for good measure. 😀 

Lol

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on March 05, 2021, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: pixelpusher636 on March 03, 2021, 08:39:04 AMIt's like someone is playing a cruel prank. Taking an already time intensive task (3D modeling/Rendering) and unnecessarily prolonging it more for good measure. 😀

Lol

Kinda like that WAS! lol