Atmospheric Mixer

Started by WAS, March 03, 2021, 04:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

This. This would be really handy. Currently certain atmospheres I have not been able to produce without strange settings, like Mars's sunset, vs daytime. Being able to mix atmospheres between 0-1 like the merge shader would fix this issue when trying to do shots transitioning between the two

Currently I don't know how to do any of these transitions in TG as it is say for a mars night and day cycle animation. I did quick test fading densities between atmospheres and clouds but the fading does crazy stuff where atmo/clouds get super bright before fading out in some areas (thinner clouds/haze catching more light I guess).

WAS

Holy ideas you didn't think would work, Mattman! The Merge Shader works with atmospheres! Brilliant!

At least it seems to,  hard to tell with identical atmospheres. Now time for some testing.

WAS

Nope. Doesn't work. Darn.

Dune

I like your perseverance in experimentation. I tried it too, but of course failed, also adding as child to a masked surface shader didn't work. Strange actually that the atmo can be attached, while it won't work. That's not so in other combinations.
You can stack atmo's, and it would be good if there's an input to decrease it's % in working by a constant, so you have a 'slider'

WAS

Yeah a overall slider for "opacity" would work perfectly if it maintained it's settings. I even tried fading densities for the heck of it, but because of the variance between the two atmos shaders, it doesn't transition well and it gets a tad lighters transitioning, not as bad as I imagined but not really usable.

WAS

Is something like this even possible, Matt?

I've tried everything I can think of with exposed settings but can never get good transitions, but I don't know what else can be done behind the scenes. One of the biggest issue is color control. I can't animate the settings to another colour, or fade between two with a input into the atmospheres.