Masks Masking out Peaks that Should Be Within Mask

Started by WAS, March 22, 2021, 01:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I have a mask which I have created a hard mask from, form the scalar of the spires, however, it seems to mask out the peaks except for the very tip. What gives? I can't get this spire displacement only on the spires. So annoying. Slopes don't work because by the time you get it starting to fade from hill slopes, it's also fading from the spires.

Trying to do a Geonosis project for someone which at first thought seemed pretty easy to do. And the displacement was pretty much, but localizing it is proving way too hard.

The mask also doesn't seem to follow the spires even though the scalar is coming from a Final Position. There are spots where no spires are, that are getting displacement as if there was.

Dune

For just a few spires, I'd use some spheres, hand-located on the tops. Same smallest texture/displacement as spires.

WAS

Thats a good idea, as I could get them exactly where I wanted too. May render out a few spire objects from TG to use so no texture space warping from scales. If they can be subdivided enough.

Dune

Maybe even a pop of polyspheres may work if you set min slope and min altitude, and/or a mask derived from the peaks. I used them for rocks in a river. Masking their distribution is the hard part.

WAS

Not a bad idea. Hopefully not too many overhangs from edges, distribution may be tricky indeed.