New installation method

Started by Kadri, March 25, 2021, 09:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Why does a new installation uninstall the older version even if you installed the new one in another folder?
In the past we could use all earlier versions side by side as it should be.

I wanted just to test something with the new free version...Bad decision! My full version was gone after the setup.
I had to use System restore. Waited a long time for this. Then my old full version was still problematic.
So i had to go to my account and download the installer.

It worked after that but for just an evaluation,test this sucks. I won't easily bother to install any free version from now on.

I wanted to see the new options too and play around a little...But after this i didn't even bother to have a look at them.
I have many programs that still have the older versions fully usable. Terragen installation was like that too in the past.
Why change that at all? And a free version uninstalling a full version is even worse.

sboerner

Sorry to hear about that, what a pain.

Based on some advice I once got from Oshyan, I always duplicate the Terragen folder immediately after installing a new version. The new folder is named with the version number and then I make a shortcut from the tgicli.exe file to the desktop. That way new installations won't overwrite existing ones, and I have a complete set of previous installations in the Planetside Software folder.

Too late to help this time, I know. :( But maybe for future reference.

He gave me this advice a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure if/when the installation method changed from the way you describe it.

Dune

Too bad indeed. I use the copy-paste folder and relink method too, only I do it just before installing a newer version. Steve's method is a bit better I think, in case you forget to copy-paste.

Can't you just uninstall the free and re-install your full version?

Kadri

This happened actually the second time.
But i wasn't sure then if it was my fault and if i had it installed at the same folder.
This time i was more careful. I wanted to be sure before posting here.

I don't know when it changed. I suspect after v4.1.25 somewhere later.
But as i don't install-uninstall often i am not sure about that.

Kadri

Ulco i wasn't sure what will happen to the erosion plugins. So wanted to see if system restore could help.
Didn't thought it would take so long. Just uninstalling and installing would have been faster.

Dune

I think the erosion plugins can just be copy-pasted too.

Kadri

The procedural probably. Not sure about the classic one i bought.

WAS

Classic can be copied over. I have been that for over a year before latest TG version required a update to it.

sboerner

The plugins are all copied with the rest of the installation folder (in my case), so they're always available to the running version.

WAS

It overwrites the old installation which is why its still there, TG installer doesnt see it to uninstall it (it's not part of the installation manifest). I install to new directories each time (if it is ver name). Least I used to have many versions now just 3 new ones. So it won't be there.

Kadri

Guys i copied first the old folder of Terragen and changed its name.
Then installed the free version with a different folder name.
It did of course the same as before and uninstalled my own full version (except the plugins).

I tried to install my old version just to see what would happen. It said "no, you have already a newer version"...

So i copied the free version folder too with a different name and uninstalled it.
Then i installed my own full old version and just used the copied folder of the free version.

Now i can use them together. Thanks all.
When you know what you do and do this it is actually not so bad and hard as its sounds. But still...

sboerner

Yeah I went through a process much like that a couple of times before adopting Oshyan's method. Reinstalling an older version can become a bit of a dance.

Kadri

Quote from: sboerner on March 28, 2021, 10:57:13 PMYeah I went through a process much like that a couple of times before adopting Oshyan's method. Reinstalling an older version can become a bit of a dance.
Hmm...i think i didn't get what you mean the first time i read your post.
Now i understand better. Thank you. That should work much better indeed.