HiDef Film of the Moon and Skyscrapers

Started by Sethren, November 27, 2007, 03:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethren

While i was looking for additional information on this subject i saw this. Look at the far right advertisement.

The question: Which is the World's Tallest Building?

I guess they are not aware of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Dubai

and then there going to build this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Burj

Anyways, just silly thoughts about silly adverts.     ;D

dhavalmistry

one of them is just a proposal and the other one is under construction...it doesnt really count if it is under construction...even though it is going to end up as the worlds tallest building...

by the way...thats TALLL!!!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Sethren

The engineers are testing the soil for the Al Burj so it might happen. Currently the Burj Dubai is 156 floors so it is the worlds tallest now.   :o   

You think that is tall, the Japanese are planning some type of sky city that could be as tall as 13,000 feet high and could house over a million occupants.     :P

Harvey Birdman

rcallicotte

I've heard about this when there was some research into the idea of creating an all inclusive place where a resident could do anything without leaving the building.  Anything.

Quote from: Sethren on November 27, 2007, 12:43:06 PM
You think that is tall, the Japanese are planning some type of sky city that could be as tall as 13,000 feet high and could house over a million occupants.     :P

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: calico on November 27, 2007, 01:59:19 PM
I've heard about this when there was some research into the idea of creating an all inclusive place where a resident could do anything without leaving the building.  Anything.

Yeah, anything except go for a long bike ride outdoors... or go for a swim outdoors... or climb a mountain (typically an outdoor activity)...

How on earth can anyone think that would be an attractive existence? Sounds like a sci-fi horror tale to me - Asimov at his gloomiest.

We're so busy trying to find novel technologies to support a limitless population... doesn't it occur to anyone that we're overpopulating ourselves right out of a life worth living?

???

rcallicotte

I'm not sure about that, Harvey.  But, emphasis on things like our environment and giving the average person an actual opportunity to have a home are all noble enough, which pleases me more than the next gizmo that some Wired hungry monger seeking to be "neato" thinks is important.

I've reached the point of being nauseous at some of the recent important thingamajigs.  Try telling this to anyone on this page under the age of around 30 and I'd bet they think I'm insane.  A certain possible important finding by researchers is that the "now" generation ("I want it now") is having a hard time understanding that life is difficult.  The thingamajigs do not change that.

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: calico on November 27, 2007, 02:36:07 PM

I've reached the point of being nauseous at some of the recent important thingamajigs. 

This wouldn't refer to recent offerings from a certain Silicon Valley computer firm, now, would it?

Really, man - I saw those pictures in the NY Times of some idiot leaving a store waving his new iPhone over his head like some conquering hero... I'm thinking to myself ...man. I'm not sure which is more disturbing - that someone that stupid walks the face of the earth, or that someone that stupid has sufficient disposable income to buy the latest 'must have' piece of shit... and then a couple of months later the price is cut by what, $200? Do you think the clown even has enough on the ball to realize what a f@%khead he is?

:D

Will

iPhones are cool I know a few who have them but there just the first generation at least in the US so its nothing particularly special yet.

BTW I broke my comma key and need to replace it for all of you who watch grammar.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Harvey Birdman

Sure, it's a nifty piece of technology, but what sort of lame syncophant sits up all night long outside a store just to be the first yutz on the block to own one?

I sat outside a Ticketron all night to buy Dead tickets back in the day, but an iPhone?

;)   :D

rcallicotte

@Will - lol (comma keys are critical  ;D  )

@Harvey - Ahhh.  So I'm not the only one who feels somewhat adverse to it all.  I've wondered how much having those woods next to me growing up changed how I see things.  Nothing, and I really mean nothing (I've experienced a lot...here's where you hear violins) can be compared to walking through the woods early in the morning or at almost dusk or during a rainstorm.  Life is everywhere from the smallest ants to bees and rabbits and snakes and possums...they all keep on living no matter what and at these times seem to be just becoming active or getting ready to start their "day".  So much is going on that I'm convinced I'm pretty insignificant.  Just what I need(ed).

Harvey Birdman

Dude... why do you think I live where I live? This place is a disaster as far as employment is concerned, but I grew up in Vermont, back before it was overrun... I've done my time in Californicatia, NYC, Boston... we could be a lot better off financially if we lived somewhere else, but I like the population density here. (For the uninformed, IIRC, Wyoming has the lowest population of any state, and the 2nd lowest population density, beaten only by Alaska. I mean, look at a map and compare it to the size of the average European country, then consider the fact that the population is around 300,000. And most of that is in the corner where I live - travel 2, 300 miles to the NW and it's REALLY empty.) I like soloing a peak, getting to the top and knowing when I look around that the nearest person is miles away, if there is even anyone there at all. That sort of thing is getting harder and harder to find...

:-\

Will

I want to live on the moon and drink tang from the air...
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Harvey Birdman

All right, you... shouldn't there be a comma in there somewhere?

;D