The Singularity (Nebula)

Started by WAS, April 12, 2021, 08:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Here is my attempt at a singularity type nebula thing. Big thanks to Stormlord for showing me how to get some serious speed boost out of nebula renders. A film grain effect to simulate NASA's noisy composites.

These composites were rendered in grayscale. But I'm attempting to set up a rig for colour. One issue I'm trying to figure out is how to get environment lighting to work with nothing but clouds in the scene. I have two cards out of the veiwport to reflect light back but doesn't seem to effect 3D preview or RTP.

PS special shout-out to Hetzen for the bulge function he shared awhile back. This is amazing for warping/twisting nebula cloud forms beyond what redirects can do [alone without multipe setup and slowing things down].

PPS This is entirely made from TG assets. I didn't actually use anything NASA has released.

Kadri

Looks nice.

The blurred stars are kinda distracting. Subjective maybe but i would try with no blur, a little less or only on some.

WAS

What blur are you talking about? Are you talking about star bloom? That's via bloom and star luminosity intensity.

Kadri

Yes the stars.
It looks like a blur filter applied in a photo editor. To me at least.

WAS

Probably the leveling I applied which unfortunately creating some banding/hard drop offs of gradients. I also forgot to set the document to 16bit for the Tiffs so it's 8bit. Editing in 8bit always causes bad colour burn and brights burn.

WAS

WAS

DocCharly65

anyway impressive singularity... Looks good - and dangerous...

Stormlord

Congratulations!

It looks somehow similar to a distant galaxy. But if so distant, the redshift should cause more red colours instead of greens.
The dust bands and the spiral comes out pretty nice. Like to see more of your work and I'm very glad to help you to speed up things.

The picture format makes me also thinking... it looks more interesting if the object is not in the middle. I'll keep that in mind.

STORMLORD

WAS

Quote from: Stormlord on April 13, 2021, 11:37:36 AMCongratulations!

It looks somehow similar to a distant galaxy. But if so distant, the redshift should cause more red colours instead of greens.
The dust bands and the spiral comes out pretty nice. Like to see more of your work and I'm very glad to help you to speed up things.

The picture format makes me also thinking... it looks more interesting if the object is not in the middle. I'll keep that in mind.

STORMLORD

Hmm interesting thought. I was just going by NASA's interpretation of gasses. Nitrogen and Hydrogen will produce greens, Oxygen blues, and sulfurs reds.

I figured nitrogen and hydrogen gasses will be closer to star clusters or the source of all it's gasses, while the sulfurs emissions which are constant will have been settling around the stars, singularity center, etc, and then be pushed outwards by the event.

Coloring in Photoshop/Affinity is also proving difficult due to the intensity of masks I can create to do the colouring, so I am attempting coloured nebulas in TG like Denis did.