Terragen Pro - Extra output images

Started by digitalguru, April 26, 2021, 09:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

I usually output OpenExr for my renders but today I tried .tif for a render.
The main output image is fine, but the Extra output images revert to OpenExr - is that expected behavior or a bug?

WAS

I think the Extra Output images ARE just all EXR except the Alpha.

KlausK

I would think so. Neither in the Wiki articles about Render layers, Render Elelments
nor Render Techniques there is even a filetype mentioned.
The only Extra Image file I found which is not a exr file is tgSurfDepth.
That is saved as a uncompressed 48 bit tif file.

The tgAtmoAlpha is saved as exr, unlike the tgAlpha, which is a tif file.

Maybe it is because it is the most used file format for compositing layers and elements?

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Quote from: KlausK on April 27, 2021, 07:10:16 PMThat is saved as a uncompressed 48 bit tif file.

Strange, so TG is able to output 48 bit tif, but not 32bit float? Huh Do you know if the 48 bit is a signed integer?

KlausK

I do not know much about this stuff. The 48 bit uncompressed comes from the file properties / detail tab.
Here are the files.
The jpeg is what you get when you play with the levels in PS.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

digitalguru

I just ran some tests and the Extra outputs do behave oddly.
If you set .tif as the Save as Type in the Extra Output images, you still get .exr except for:
tgAlpha
tgRgb
tgSampleRate
tgSurfDepth
(on build 4.5.56)

which can output as .tif and according to Nuke are either 8 or 16 bit fixed depending on the .tif options selected.

That seems a bit random.

I'm guessing it's the same code for the Save as Type selector in the Extra Output images, and those Render Elements need to output float which is why they revert to exr?

I don't use anything other than .exr so it's not a problem for me, but maybe a bit limiting for anyone who doesn't have an .exr compliant app who might want to check out the render elements.

What would be very useful is a 16/32bit switch between the data and color  Render Elements - 32 bit is a bit overkill for the color elements (surface Direct, alpha, RGB) whereas the data elements would always benefit from being 32 bit.
extra_outputs.jpg

WAS

This would be a lot better. Clearly the data would need to be 32bit or it's garbage data, but the render elements certainly could be 16 bit for simple compositing in graphic manipulation software like GIMP/Photoshop/Paint Shop/Affinity (though affinity has good 32bit support).

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: WAS on April 27, 2021, 08:11:29 PM
Quote from: KlausK on April 27, 2021, 07:10:16 PMThat is saved as a uncompressed 48 bit tif file.

Strange, so TG is able to output 48 bit tif, but not 32bit float? Huh Do you know if the 48 bit is a signed integer?
That Tif is a 16bit 3 channel RGB image which most people here would refer to as a 16bit file. 

I know in the old days we used to add up the channels like when referring to a 24bit TGA, or 32 bit TGA with Alpha.

I think there is some confusion with bit depth since there is inconsistency depending on the hardware you are using and industry you are in.  For example, when using an image scanner, you will see options to scan at 24bit or 48bit (8bit channels vs. 16bit channels).

KlausK

"The 48 bit uncompressed comes from the file properties / detail tab."

That`s why I explicitely pointed this out. Did not mean to confuse anyone... ::)
CHeers, Klaus