Moon Over Little Falls

Started by sboerner, May 18, 2021, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

As mentioned elsewhere I've been working on models for a new Erie Canal scene. Here are two, including the lock that I posted before.

Most of the lock will either be below ground level or under water. But I was curious about how they were built and wanted to make it as complete as possible. The aqueduct is a little unusual because most aqueducts at the time were built of stone and wood. This one was completely built of stone.

I'll continue to post here as work progresses. The title of this thread should become clear before too long. :)

Dune

Looking forward to this! If you make the water clear enough a lot could be visible of underwater structures. Or make it happen in a dry season ;)

mhaze

Beautiful models - perhaps a little too clean and precise?

sboerner

Perhaps, but I was actually thinking I'd aged them too much . . . in 1823 they were brand-spanking new. :D

We'll see what happens once they're in the scene.

Stormlord

Very clean and nice models.
Looking forward to see your Erie Channel Next Generation scene (your old one is awesome!)

STORMLORD

sboerner

First benchmark rendering. The main challenge in this scene was the multiple water levels, four altogether, three of which are connected by locks and flumes. Rock wall was made with ZBrush. Full moon and sun positions are calculated for sunrise, September 8, 1824. View faces due west.

More to be done here, including details like the water edge, but also a few more structures, boats, and people. A few more weeks' work.

Edit: Should mention that the grass models are by Dune (thanks for that share); all other models are original.

Jo Kariboo

Very beautiful picture and nice objects conception !
I really like the light.
On the other hand, I find that the rock walls on the left have shapes that cut a little too abruptly.

WAS

That's a great start to the scene! Looks great. Love the moody lighting. I feel a touch of fog from the atmospheric changes would be a great touch. Also maybe a tad lower, or higher camera angle due to the bridge and distant trees looking as if they are growing off the bridge.

Dune

Wonderful scenery. I know these kinds of scenes are pretty difficult, as the terrain needs to fit the objects (or vice-versa), and things like water interact with the surroundings as well. The light is beautiful.
I do think the rocks on the left look a bit artificial. I guess they have that shape (or you wouldn't have made them like that), but I would at least have some more color variation or stuff growing over it; plants, lichens, a dead tree/bush fallen down across it...
And there's a bit of repetition in the weeds on the left; I would add more variety.
And how about a waterline, where algae grow on the sluice walls to a certain level? They look quite clean.
Waterplants in quiet areas of the stream?

sboerner

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I knew from the outset that the rock cliff would be the most challenging part of this scene. I've taken a break of a few weeks from it, so probably time for a fresh look.

Other comments duly noted. The only exception might be aquatic plants. The temptation is there but the fact is this is an artificial channel that was (and still is) drained for much of the year, so plant life never gets a chance to take root. I've lived near the Erie Canal for most of my life and have yet to see anything growing in it. But the edges right above water level could certainly use some attention.

mhaze

Terrific work - Agree with Dune, you nead some more dirt - it's all too perfect!

sboerner

Latest iteration. Haven't really addressed the ground cover yet; there will be more species and better distribution. But that will wait till the human figures are in place. That's the next step.

Cliff has been replaced and other details added to correspond with historical sources.

Dune

Wonderful! The ship only just fits through the sluices, doesn't it?

sboerner

Thanks! And yes, the lock chambers were 15 feet wide, and many of the boats had a beam of 14 feet. That's 6 inches clearance on either side. Tight fit, which explains the fenders that ran along the sides of the hull.