New rig, very satisfying benchmark! Thanks to all.

Started by Dune, July 19, 2021, 08:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I finally built my new rig with the Ryzen 9 5900 CPU on a gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro mobo, a 1080Ti GPU, and installed win 10. TG 4 benchmarked at 5'09", which is about 30% of what I was used to. So I'm thrilled!
I want to thank all of you guys who helped me with information about hardware, win 10 and such. Thanks a lot!

KlausK

That seems to have been a worthwhile wait then to get everything together for your new system.
If you ever find the time I`d be very interested in a complete list of what is exactely in your box.
Ram, PSU, HDDs etc. Btw, already got your new monitor?

If I may ask how much did the system cost you in total now?

I`m really tempted to clone one of the Ryzen systems being built here lately...
Much easier then to research everything all over again.

So we can expect even more output and more elaborate scenes from you :D
Enjoy the ride!

Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Wow that's awesome! More than half the time saved then what I got on Ryzen 5 2600 at 14m. That's impressive really.

Dune

Here you go, Klaus. It totalled €1730, including 21% BTW/VAT. I could have saved €80 or so if buying from another vendor, but I had asked my 'old' vendor some questions, which they promptly answered, so I owe them something.
Building myself saved €100. I was a bit apprehensive about doing that, but it is actually extremely easy. Enough room in that case too, with a nice glass door. Too bad the Noctua isn't black, but well, I'm not going to stare at the internals all day, and RGB is wasted on me too.
The BIOS needed an update or the 5900 wouldn't run on that board, and I could have done that, but it needs an existing OS, and I was going to install win 10 from scratch. Cost me just a little to have that done by them.
The only thing I did in the BIOS afterwards is set XMP (Xtreme Memory Profile), as the RAM wasn't working at the advertised 3000MHz, but 2600 or so. This raised voltage a bit, and likely the other 4 numbers too. I will probably test with the benchmark what the difference is in terms of render speed. If it's negligable, I'll reset it to auto.
Win 10 from a downloaded version on usb worked like a dream too, and I'm not unhappy with the looks and workability. Had to throw some junk out (like the weather, which I also see when looking outside 8) ), but I had feared worse (so far).

Monitor is coming tomorrow. Good check on dead pixels and I'm ready to go.

PS. I could probably have gone for faster memory, but it was hard to get and more expensive. And RGB, which I doubted would fit as the banks are higher.

KlausK

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

I bet you saw the voltage go red? Don't worry about that. It just means it's not default voltage. Doesn't mean its bad.

Dune

Yeah, it did. But I changed it back to default again, as the benchmark didn't make any difference, still 5min9sec. I'm not the overclock type either, rather keep my hardware safe for a longer time than overstressing it for a few minutes of saved time. It's working like a dream like it is.
Got my Asus ProArt 27" too, and oh what a difference! Wonderful quality, even compared to my Eizo, which is supposed to be good. Colors are more vivid, where my Eizo tends to color everything more mutedly/yellowish, but now I can see blues in shadows. I'll post a comparison if I have them set up properly.
I took a gamble with the dead pixel issue, but there's none, so I saved another €50 on a 3month warranty for dead pixels :P

The only problem I have now is converting my previous (always been offline) working machine to go online and use for internet. It has an ethernet adapter, which is supposedly alright it says, but sticking a wire in won't connect me. It's probably some services not running, but I haven't figured out which or what. Annoying!

WAS

It isn't overclocking, its setting it to the rated voltage and frequency and CAS of the RAM in use. Undervolting may make it last forever, but it should already do that at its rated requirements. 

But yeah, like mentioned in the other thread, TG is too slow to benefit from any modern RAM.

Dune

I know it isn't overclocking, but 'right-clocking', but if there's no difference default is fine with me.
Interestingly, after 'building' my own, I took a look at the prebuilt machine's internals I bought years ago and saw some switches that were set the wrong way (some intelligent efficiency setting for voltages). Machine is extremely quiet now! Better do everything yourself, it seems.