Moon Over Little Falls

Started by sboerner, May 18, 2021, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Wow! What a great project again!

And a realism making me speechless!
The peaceful late afternoon ambience lets you feel that you want to be there - urgently!

sboerner

sboerner

Updated horse model.

Dune

WAS

Looking great! Maybe just a tad higher roughness to get some more shine spread. It's a little glisteny right now.

DocCharly65

I love it!
Great texture and a wonderful animal!

sboerner

Making very slow progress on this scene. It's summertime and there are too many distractions. And I've taken time out to learn some new software (ZBrush and Mixer). But finally starting to add human figures. Here is one of the tandem rigs and driver.

Dune

That is extremely good! Wow, what a great rig. Did you make that in ZBrush already? Texturing and subtle reflections are wonderful too, and that white horse looking over the others, terrific.

sboerner

Thanks, Ulco. The base meshes were made in Silo and Blender with final detailing and hair in ZBrush. The details are baked as height maps so lower-poly meshes can be used in Terragen. ZBrush is wonderful, very intuitive and fast once you get used to the interface. A major improvement over Mudbox. Constantly impressed with Blender, too. Such a capable application.

DocCharly65

As Ulco said. Terrific! And I love that white horse looking curious over the others too :)

mhaze

sboerner

Thanks, everyone. Here are a few more. Some are suspended mid air because they are positioned relative to the object they'll be standing on. No hair or eyebrows for the woman because she will be in the deep background. Also including a closeup of the packet boat pilot. Not quite enough detail for this camera distance but I was curious. 

The pilot's hair was done in Blender. Experimented with ZBrush's Fibermesh for this and got good results, but I can't figure out a way to animate it. Blender's hair system is particle-based and easy to bind and animate.

WAS

First two look like they're being raptured while going about their business, but other than that there is a great amount of detail here.

I have to say, the faces are not really realistic in a photography sense; however they really give off a sense of the old pen illustrations from the 18th and 19th century and how faces were depicted in them, especially emotion. I think that really actually adds to the type of work you're doing. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it really works.

The clothes are also really well done, the way they hang and stuff is actually very realistic, most of the populace did not have hemmed clothing to actually fit them properly, and pants of the general person had this pull down sag look, because it wasn't hemmed to the wearer which was common then.

Lady of the Lake

All of this is so great.  Beyond my limited vocabulary.   ::)

masonspappy

Would love to see the finished project