Offsetting planet apex

Started by ethan, September 11, 2021, 12:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethan

Hi all. Working on a GIS project now where we have some tracker footage of a camera approaching the California coastline. Have it imported into TG however the offset location makes it difficult to position clouds and other objects. Tried to offset the Lat Long of the planet to the approx coordinates that we are working with (near San Francisco) but this seems to have no effect?

The camera to the left is the one we are working with - the one to the right is TG default.

Any suggestions would be incredible. 

Thanks

WAS

I'm not sure about offsetting the apex, but you could always just try to ovverride the heightmap location and put it at 0,0,0.

That way objets load correctly and aren't broken, and can populate the scene better, and cloud altitudes and locations etc will be easier.

When you far away from the point of origin, things get wanky.

ethan

In this case it's the tracked camera that is the issue, not the heightmap. Actually, for this shot, we will be turning off the ground and rendering just clouds.

ethan

cyphyr

I don't think you can do this in Terragen. 
It's a bit of a workaround but I would do the following:

Import the camera into another 3d app (Lightwave, Blender, Maya etc).
Create a proxy planet the same size as Terragen's Earth. Texture it with an earth map if that helps
Create a null at the centre of the planet and parent it to the camera and the proxy planet.

You should now be able to use the null to rotate the entire camera sequence (and the planet)so the camera ends up in the desires location.
Now you can re-export the camera and import it back into Terragen.

Hope this helps
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)