No shine in imported obj. model

Started by fenwick, September 22, 2021, 07:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenwick

Hello All
I'm new to Terragen and the problem I'm having is that I built a model in 3D studio Max 2012, texture mapped it and imported it into terragen as an obj.. The model looks good except that there is no specularity on the model all surfaces have a matte finish, although there were specularity maps applied in Max. Any thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Fenwick

WAS

With most imported objects, you'll have to go into the object (double click the Plus symbol on the object shader) and head into the parts shader and edit all the materials to your liking. Often objects will not import with the correct settings or maps applied, inverted corrected, etc.

There is also the Simple PBR Node Generator which may help you out: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27943.0.html

Hannes

And if you edit your material in TG, don't forget, that the roughness is set to 0.8 by default, which might look weird. Use a smaller value (maybe 0.01) to get some shininess.

fenwick

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll give it a shot.
Fenwick

masonspappy

Once you've got your OBJ model set up in Terragen the way you want, export it as a .TGO file.  ( go into Node Network, find your .OBJ, right-click and select "Save Object file..." before actually clicking "save" you must change the file type from OBJ to TGO. )  From then on you can reload the TGO file and your maps will remain intact.

WAS

Quote from: masonspappy on September 27, 2021, 10:17:50 PMOnce you've got your OBJ model set up in Terragen the way you want, export it as a .TGO file.  ( go into Node Network, find your .OBJ, right-click and select "Save Object file..." before actually clicking "save" you must change the file type from OBJ to TGO. )  From then on you can reload the TGO file and your maps will remain intact.

Also, as Ulco pointed out awhile back, you could just save as  TGC (Terragen Clip File) if you're budgeting storage space. It will save the node configurations but rely on the OBJ/LWO file instead of creating a new object file on disk.

digitalguru

If you work in Terragen/Maya, I'm working on something that will circumvent the whole obj/mtl problem completely :)