voronoi and stretched subvoronoi?

Started by Dune, October 12, 2021, 05:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I need to make a peatstructure that consists of large rounded patches (voronoi) of raised peat, with the lower, bordering ridges consisting of woods. Easy.
But the large patches need to be divided into subpatches, also voronoi, with the same ridgy edges between them. Easy too.
But these subpatches need to be rounded near the center of each larger voronoi-patch, and more compressed near the edges, as if they have sagged towards the lower sides. A sort of stretching along the altitude lines takes place. In the lowest compressed/stretched patches depressions filled with water appear.
I can draw such a pattern (quick and ugly example for the idea uploaded), but it would be great if there were a procedural method to get this done. Transform shader won't work as it doesn't take any variables. Warping might, but I probably need some sort of blue node wizzkid thing.

Anyone?

Dune

Sorry, got it already. Warping works.

WAS

Yeah was about to say, warping by the large voronoi shapes, or something softer would do a circular stretch for the boundaries.

PS curious to see these peat bogs.

Dune

The main problem is that if your raise the big bog, the small condensed voronoi at the boundaries should have water in them. But in reality it is probably stepwise, so more centrally located small voronoi have a water level that is a bit higher than at the very edge.

And another problem is that I need to have rounded shapes and the blue node voronoi is quite edgy and doesn't warp smooth enough. Smoothing filter doesn't seem to work with blue node voronoi. Blue based does, however, produce nicer edge structures than the PF based voronoi.
I might have to resort to drawing some masks.

WAS

THat's the problem I was encountering. I was able to do the initial warped shapes but couldn't figure out any way to soften the look of the edges. And yeah voronoi billow is too crunched to use. This is another reason I am liking some of Blenders noise. There is a Randomness setting, where at 0, the voronoi is just a grid, so you can add a tad of randomness and get the effect you're looking for, where not perfect, but not edged in triangles and squares. It also has the F1 Smooth formula, which is actually soft on the edges to define via colour controls. Maybe try rendering out a tiltable map or something to use in Photoshop as a base.

Dune

I indeed did resort to a tilable map, which is easier to control.

Here's the result so far, with just a few tree species/variations.

WAS

Oh wow, yeah, that's coming along nicely. I see what you're going for now.

Dune

I have looked at Siberia, and found some satelite imagery showing these raised bogs. Perhaps they should be much less uniform, and I might after all use noise. Raising the big shapes leaves the water problem, but from a certain altitude and not too low light it's rise is hardly visible anyway, so I can leave them flat.

Here are some photo's of the bogs I need to make. Very interesting phenomenon.

WAS

Feel like that last one is obtainable with some really aggressive Y warping. 
These are really cool. Gives me some inspiration.

Dune

Y warping works fine indeed, and you can work on the softness and bias of the bigger shape before vdisping. This is what makes TG fun!