Lenticular Cloud

Started by pixelpusher636, October 24, 2021, 04:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

Hey folks!
I was hoping someone could help me out in concaving or fitting my cloud to the contours of the mountain. I've tried a few ideas browsing the forum like inverting the terrain making a greyscale mask etc. but to no avail and maybe that's because I'm using a DEM? Not sure but any help would be greatly appreciated.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

WAS

With a DEM you may not be able to influence the clouds without that influence being exactly the shape of the DEM. You may need a Gaussian blurred DEM.

pixelpusher636

Hmm. I was afraid if that WAS. I will if I'm still able to find the third party software that converts ter files to images and have a go. Problem might be (if I remember right) their is a terrain size limitation with the software and this one is large. 

Thanks for your help as always Sir!

WAS

Here is an example of just using the SSS to warp the cloud shapes, and using a cloud fractal as breakup of the layers for detail. Maybe this will help.

pixelpusher636

Nice! That might be the perfect cheat to make this look more believable. Thank you WAS, greatly appreciated. I will post the outcome.

WAS

You're most certainly welcome. Anything to help people realize their Terragen creations.

PS Location translation will use Y to push whole thing up, so you can use Y as an offset for the whole things altitude.

pixelpusher636

Thanks for the postscript WAS. This will be handy for the final adjustments. I've been tweaking and fiddling and this is how far I got. More left to do. Thanks again for your help Sir!

WAS

Looking mighty good.  8)

bobbystahr

Quote from: pixelpusher636 on October 24, 2021, 04:18:53 PMHey folks!
I was hoping someone could help me out in concaving or fitting my cloud to the contours of the mountain. I've tried a few ideas browsing the forum like inverting the terrain making a greyscale mask etc. but to no avail and maybe that's because I'm using a DEM? Not sure but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well that worked out all right eh!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist