Student: The parallel light problem

Started by noahding, October 29, 2021, 06:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahding

有平行光吗?我想在C4D中做出平行光的效果,让云彩可以在六个不同的方向均匀照射,可以吗?

Hannes

I'm using Firefox. Is there a way to translate?

icarus51

Hi Hannes,

Google translate  says this:

"Are there parallel lights? I want to make the effect of parallel light in C4D so that the clouds can be illuminated evenly in six different directions, is it okay?".

I hope this help.

WAS

Probably the best way to do this is within a inverted Cube and seperate the normals to XYZ masks if you need different light intensity on different sides of the cube. Then use those masks to drive luminosity.

Even illumination will provide no depth for turn-table operations if that is what you are going for. It will just be an amorphous blob.

WAS

Here is an example project. This has all sides illumination set to 0.2 except for the top face, which is at 1.

Kevin Kipper

Terragen's Sunlight node emits light in parallel rays.

By changing the Sunlight node's Heading and Elevation settings you can change the direction of illumination.  In the first example image below, the Heading values of 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees correspond to North, East, South and West illumination, and the Elevation values of +90 or -90 correspond to top and bottom lighting. 

In the second example image, six Sunlight nodes are added to the project, each one corresponding to North, East, South, West, Top, and Bottom.  Each Strength setting = 1, and the Bottom Sunlight node's Cast Shadows option is off.

For more information on the Sunlight node, check out the Wiki documentation here: https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Sunlight

WAS

Does location make an impact? It seems all the light points are off setted on the sphere, but probably due to planet location vs suns? Or is something else causing that look? Seems the suns are not perpendicular in each direction. Additionally the atmosphere will create additional rays of illumination I believe from the atmosphere blooms.

Kevin Kipper

The spec hits on the sphere are due to the elevation being at 10 degrees.  I had to raise the sun high enough or the mountains would have shadowed the sphere.  If I had only rendered the sphere, against black or via a render layer w/o the terrain, I would have left the elevation at 0 degrees.  Mostly I wanted to demonstrate the directional aspect of the sunlight and verify that it uses parallel rays.  I agree that if I wanted an evenly lit cloud layer I would probably eliminate any other light source that would contribute to the cloud illumination.

WAS

Oh yeah. I didn't even think of the mountains.

Dune

I think it would be good if users would take the trouble to translate themselves if they want some response in this 'English speaking' forum. I immediately got the reaction to report as spammer.

Hannes

I agree, since the thread's subject already was translated. So it shouldn't be a problem.

WAS

I've never had an issue with it. We most certainly shouldn't be gatekeeping Terragen to English-speaking people. Additionally, if you translate to, and then back, to ensure comprehension, you can often find some things do not translate, unless you actually know the language to fix mistakes the translator is having issues with. If anything, it's intriguing to translate other languages and communicate within them.

Dune

Maar toch, ik ga er in ieder geval geen tijd insteken om vragen eerst te vertalen 8)

但是,至少我不会把时间放在翻译问题第一。

WAS

Kinda ironic... Lol We don't really need any glottophobia here, though.

But it is also ironic, because while you say this you have engaged in code-switching with other Dutch members  to have derogatory conversation about members who don't speak Dutch (me).

I have no problem translating peoples posts if they are having trouble conveying what they need. I got plugins for it anyway. Though I have spent a life communicating with companies and my own websites with translators. Literally going on 22 years of working with people who don't speak English.

icarus51

Hi Jordan and all,

Me too, i have no problem with this thing. But i don't want to destabilize the forum and then i will think 20 times before to replay on these arguments, in the future. 
I'm sorry. :-[