Looking for someone

Started by Hannes, November 09, 2021, 04:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Some more Gaea stuff. Initially started as a tropical island, and finally ended as some sort of icelandic scenery. That's how it goes.
This is rendered with the path tracer (just because there is vegetation... looks so much better). It took twenty hours to render in 3K. Without water it may have taken only two and a half hours, I guess. Transparency is set to 0 in the water shader. I know, Ulco was mentioning not to use the water shader, but a plane with a reflective shader instead. I made some tests and found, that it doesn't make too much difference. And I really like the water shader's displacement.
The main factor for the long rendertimes in this case is as far as I can tell the viewing angle. It's quite flat and zoomed in as well, so there's a huge area of a mildly displaced and reflective surface, that has to be computed.
That's my theory. Maybe I'm completely wrong...

mhaze

Hannes

Dune

This is extremely awesome! The light is really Scotland! Not very tropical indeed ;D  PT also does a very good job at the darker shadows in the ruin.

sboerner

Made me think of Scotland, too, immediately. The light and atmosphere, and the ruins of which there are many. Gorgeous lighting as usual, Hannes.

I use PT for all of my renderings and like you have found that the water shader can substantially increase rendering times, especially with an oblique viewing angle. Disabling transparency helps. But I've gotten used to long renders and figure that's just the price to be paid. Good things come to those who wait . . .  :)

WAS

With water being distant you can probably get away with exporting the water surface alone as a plane and applying glass shader yo it, so you have baked displacement for the glass shader. Lot faster then procedural. Up close it doesn't work so well cause of SSS issues it seems.

gao_jian11

Although the rendering time is long, the water surface is really beautiful. The distant mountains use the texture output by Gaia? High-resolution bitmap textures cannot be compared with tg procedural textures.

Hannes

Quote from: gao_jian11 on November 10, 2021, 03:59:38 AMAlthough the rendering time is long, the water surface is really beautiful. The distant mountains use the texture output by Gaia? High-resolution bitmap textures cannot be compared with tg procedural textures.
Thank you! Actually most of the time I use procedural TG textures masked by the Gaea output textures like slope, flow and so on. I used an output resolution of 8K, which is great for most purposes, unless you are very close.

WAS

Not hard to do that sort of texturing in TG with intersections.

pixelpusher636

The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.