Finally here...

Started by Hannes, November 26, 2021, 04:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Yep... Sci Fi again.
I had a rough idea in my head, and then searched Sketchfab for some nice models. I had the floor and rails models, the two drones in the foreground, the containers and as well the stuff around it (part of a space station) on my disk.
The rest is all from Sketchfab. I purchased the "thing" in the background for eight bucks. It is called "Sci Fi Outpost" made by re1monsen. (I decided to give credits to the makers).
No idea what it was meant to be. It looks a bit like a huge double shower cubicle. Anyway, I thought it might fit nicely into the scene as some sort of "beaming"-device. The other models are free ones.
The large ship is a nice model by Binkley Spacetrucker without any UV mapping, and all is made of one part as he wrote. So, unfortunately no way to separate the parts comfortably without having to pick single faces apart. So I decided to run this thing through 3D Coat to give it at least some worn look.
The large robot is named "Dreadroamer" by TooManyDemons, and the small one is called "Esquire Teh" (yes, it's Teh for some reason, and not Tech) by SamTheCaribbean.

Dune

Nice one! Good for the robot to spend some outdoor quality time with its 'dog', getting some fresh air after having been crammed inside his shower cubicle.

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Ulco! ;)
At the moment I'm rendering a little animation of the scene. Nothing spectacular, just something to breathe some life into it.

Dune

Cool, looking forward to it.

WAS

Looks awesome. That's a interesting styled robot, I like it. The touch if fog to the scene is cool too.

Hannes

Thanks Jordan. Unfortunately I'm not a very gifted modeller. I wish I could make something like that myself. I could draw it, but in 3d space it's quite different.
One of the very rare objects I modelled is a Hammond B 3 organ I'm very proud of, but there are no organic structures in that dinosaur, so it took some time, but it wasn't that difficult.

mhaze

Stormlord

Quote from: Hannes on November 26, 2021, 04:35:59 AMYep... Sci Fi again.
The large ship is a nice model by Binkley Spacetrucker without any UV mapping, and all is made of one part as he wrote. So, unfortunately no way to separate the parts comfortably without having to pick single faces apart. So I decided to run this thing through 3D Coat to give it at least some worn look.

I have dowloaded the model and when you select faces by "Glättungsgruppen" in 3Dsmax , its easy to get nicely separated groups of different faces of this ship.

Glättungsgruppen.jpg
Select by Glättunsggruppen

STORMLORD

Hannes

Oh cool!!!! I'll try that! Thanks a lot!

WAS

One face I'd manually change is the long pill like shape on the right side. It looks like that may have intended to be a giant engine port? Or maybe a huge viewing port? Though I have to say, a blue colour ramped up to like 5 and blue glow from a secondary obj seems like it would fit nicely. Maybe pulsing like it's idling.

Dune

In ZBrush there's also some possibilities to mask areas (smoothness, valleys and highs, creases, etc), and in Lightwave you can select by angle.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 28, 2021, 01:36:16 AMIn ZBrush there's also some possibilities to mask areas (smoothness, valleys and highs, creases, etc), and in Lightwave you can select by angle.

Similarly, in Blender you can use the Geometry node. For example, the Pointiness output gives you just that, and inverting it is your non-pointy areas (valleys). Very handy masking methods for sure.

Hannes

Yes, basically this is, what you can do in 3D Coat as well.

Kadri

Nice work.
That Valerian ship is one of my favorites.