Expedition

Started by Kadri, November 30, 2021, 09:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

New work. Terragen with the procedural erosion plugin.

Matt

This is phenomenal! I'd love to know more about how you did this.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Wow, what a great piece of Art! Erosion is terrific. Is that Daniil's?

Jo Kariboo

Impressive, the displacements, colors and textures are very beautiful.

Stormlord

JUST WOW !!!
Such a nice pice of art, very impressive wide angle rendering.

STORMLORD

Hannes

Extremely beautiful landscape, Kadri!!!

WAS

You really have a way of incorporating hard-edged displacement I'd often think would be terrible. But in your final images, with everything sharpened, it just simply works, and looks really good. Is this Procedural Erosion? Is that why secondary displacement looks so good? Doing secondary displacement on heightmaps is really messy from my experience.

cyphyr

WOW!!.
Great lighting and textures
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

aknight0

A striking piece!  I love the surface detail and lighting.  The light rays in the back look really nice also.

Nala1977

i can spot Gaea terrain :D might be wrong
very nice image Kadri!

mhaze

Kadri

Thank you all.

No heightmaps or Gaea :) .

Actually the image was supposed to be more about the sky at first. Not that it was complicated.
As you see it is an ordinary one cloud setup with only a standard displacement node. But i liked the look of it.

As i tried a ton of different lower parts with sea and such nothing came out.
Then i remembered my kinda first image with Terragen 2 ( https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,7528.msg80238.html#msg80238 ) and wanted to have another go with a crater scene.

In general the scene is actually pretty basic. The most important parts are strata, fractal warp and Daniil's procedural erosion plugin and merging of kinda similar 2 landscapes (using a surface node for merging made the landscape too smooth).

The rest is detailed placing of the rocks and colour.

I tried a different lighting as i was going for a dark look at first.
The Sun node does have surface lighting and shadowing disabled. The landscape is only lit by the last reflective node and GI.

But i played with the image heavily in post and the end result is from a lighting point quite different.

But have in mind that the node setup you see below does have some nodes from earlier tries and thus some aren't doing anything at all.

Dune

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Seems like you didn't even use the maps from the erosion plugin. The reflective gives it a great texture. Was this rendered in PT?

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on December 01, 2021, 08:21:27 AM...Seems like you didn't even use the maps from the erosion plugin. The reflective gives it a great texture. Was this rendered in PT?

Yes i didn't use the maps. When i tried it 1-2 times in the past i got strange results (black or white images).
I had no real need so haven't even looked closer how to use them.

No PT unfortunately as i am still on 4.1.25.

Dune

Well, PT wouldn't have made a huge difference I think. Maybe in darker crevices the shadows would be more natural, but rendertime would have gone up quite a bit with reflective (very displaced) rock, I presume.