New Era

Started by Artice-3d, December 06, 2021, 01:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artice-3d

Hello my friends!! It's been a while since i posted my last work and discuss some stuff with you guys 8) !! So after some years and upgrade of my PC, upgrade of my techniques and my pipeline!! I can show you some of my researches in the enviroment direction! So enjoy!  8) ;D :P Some notes,- As always it's completely procedural, it's a middle stage, because i need to figure out how to add normal map for extra details, you can see it at close-ups! Final render will be done in Unreal Engine and Lumen with nanite technologies!

Dune

Hannes

Quote from: Artice-3d on December 06, 2021, 01:53:14 PMi need to figure out how to add normal map for extra details
Cool rocks indeed!!

Unfortunately normal maps are not yet supported by TG. It's on the roadmap as far as I know. Of course you can use them, and it has some effect, but TG doesn't accept the whole information of normal maps.
What you can do so far, is converting normal maps into displacement maps using apps like "Crazybump" for example. There are also free apps somewhere. It's not the same quality like normal maps, but better than nothing.

Artice-3d

Quote from: Hannes on December 07, 2021, 06:10:15 AM
Quote from: Artice-3d on December 06, 2021, 01:53:14 PMi need to figure out how to add normal map for extra details
Cool rocks indeed!!

Unfortunately normal maps are not yet supported by TG. It's on the roadmap as far as I know. Of course you can use them, and it has some effect, but TG doesn't accept the whole information of normal maps.
What you can do so far, is converting normal maps into displacement maps using apps like "Crazybump" for example. There are also free apps somewhere. It's not the same quality like normal maps, but better than nothing.
It's not that's easy, because of polygon count! But i have some options, will try later;) thanks!

WAS

Materialize will give you the best results if you load JUST a normal map, and create a Heightmap. It will turn the normal map into the real geometry it fakes, and then fire shadows in 360 degrees, creating a highly accurate heightmap from normal map.

CrazyBump just extracts what it thinks is Y, and looks really bad.

cyphyr

Quote from: Artice-3d on December 06, 2021, 01:53:14 PMHello my friends!! It's been a while since i posted my last work and discuss some stuff with you guys 8) !! So after some years and upgrade of my PC, upgrade of my techniques and my pipeline!! I can show you some of my researches in the enviroment direction! So enjoy!  8) ;D :P Some notes,- As always it's completely procedural, it's a middle stage, because i need to figure out how to add normal map for extra details, you can see it at close-ups! Final render will be done in Unreal Engine and Lumen with nanite technologies!
Looking good and welcome back.
Not only will you have to find a way or using normal maps but also generating them in the first place.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on December 07, 2021, 03:03:44 PMNot only will you have to find a way or using normal maps but also generating them in the first place.

In the case of rock like this, normal maps would just be simulating the light of fine detail, or microdisplacement. Which could easily be done with any rock texture as a height map (like exporting a PF map from TG itself), which can easily be converted to a normal map accurately (it's generating from an image that's inaccurate cause the height itself will be approximated).

Artice-3d

I see all your points, thanks!! But here is much more complicated task. First of all, i need to get normal map from high poly to low poly mesh with UDIMS and than to use additional 2d normal map for extra details!! So it's not so easy, but i'm in right direction!  8) ;D

WAS

Curious why you'd need UDIMs for environmental rock? I don't see the benefit there. It's a texture surface in chaos.

Additionally, UDIMS is just automatic offsetting of tile-space UV to utilize multiple textures in a single shader. If you're just doing lower resolution rock, then you would be doing just that. Making lower resolution UDIM tiles (saving lower quality tiles) and naming them accordingly. Then you just load them all up.

Artice-3d

I need UDIM, because of higher quality (resolution) for output to capture small details!