More Tool Tips for the TG2 Interface

Started by Cyber-Angel, December 21, 2006, 08:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

While I realize that TG2 is still vary much in development, while using the Tech Preview I realized that there seems to be a lack of tool tips in the interface.

In 0.9.43 when you hovered you mouse over some thing a tool tip was displayed telling you what that feature was for and this seamed to be global throughout the application, TG2 needs to follow this application consistency path.

I would suggest that the Tool tips be linked to the help system with further information been available here on the forum, akin to the help system available for the nodes in World Machine.

Given the sophisticated nature of TG2 with its vastly more complex feature set it is vary easy for people to get lost in the interface, and this expanded tool tips system should help to overcome this.

This is going to be true for people who have yet to discover Terragen for the first time for who TG2 will be their first version, it will also be true for when future (As yet unwritten) versions of Terragen are released with vastly more and exciting features are released in the future.

The Tool tips system in future versions of Terragen could be crossreferenced to provide a greater understanding of not only the feature in question but related features and settings.

Regard to you.

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

I've never seen a true tooltips system linked to a help system. I'm not sure that's quite possible with standard tooltips. What I have seen are those special "question buttons" that you can click then click on a particular button and context help would pop up. That seems like it could be handy.

I may be wrong on this but my sense is that tooltips will be one of the last things to go in. So while I agree they are needed, I wouldn't expect them any time soon. Lots more important stuff to be working on, especially given that the available documentation covers most of what you need, albeit not contextually.

- Oshyan

bukidani

Something different:
It would be really useful if the openGL view would respect the crop settings, this way we could get previews of the scene very quickly. Just a tought.

oggyb

QuoteI would suggest that the Tool tips be linked to the help system with further information been available here on the forum, akin to the help system available for the nodes in World Machine.

I've seen this work in word 2007.  It's a good idea, but a lot of development would be needed that I'd rather see go into refining the render engine :)

M.

jo

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on December 21, 2006, 08:49:50 PM
While I realize that TG2 is still vary much in development, while using the Tech Preview I realized that there seems to be a lack of tool tips in the interface.

In 0.9.43 when you hovered you mouse over some thing a tool tip was displayed telling you what that feature was for and this seamed to be global throughout the application, TG2 needs to follow this application consistency path.

I added the tooltips to v0.9 and it was a huge amount of work. I'm glad you appreciated them :-). TG2 has so much more going on in the interface that it's going to be even more work to add tooltips across the whole UI, although it should be a lot more straightforward than it was with v0.9. I do think they're important and that an app isn't finished until it has them, but it's probably going to be something which is left until nearer the final release because there will be other things with a higher priority.

Regards,

Jo