Terragen on vista?

Started by wbar, December 02, 2007, 09:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbar

Well Terragen looks really cool. I couldn't wait to install it. I downloaded the file, clicked install, it got to the end -- and started rolling back. I am on vista home premium.  checked the site for the supported OS list, and lo and behold, vista is not on the list. Is it really not vista compatible? I assumed it would be forward compatible...

red_planet

Hi,

Just for a test I downloaded Win .9.43 from Planetside.. ran the installer and started using the application....no problems, just the usual.. "are you sure you really want to install this program" nag from UAC...oh.. and the 3D preview crawls.. but I suspect that's an openGL issue ...

I'm running Win Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS210. (i.e NO exotic hardware!)

Rgds

Chris

wbar

First, thank you for the prompt responce.

hmmmm... not exactly sure what you mean by "exotic hardware", so here are my specs straight off the site:
QuoteEverx XT5000T
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Display: 17" WXGA+ Widescreen (1400 x 900) with Diamond Brite Technology, TFT Active Matrix LCD
Processor: AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50 (512KB L2 Cache, 1.6GHz)
Chipset: NVIDIA® C51D (Northbridge), NVIDIA® MCP51 (Southbridge)
Memory: 1GB DDRII 533 SDRAM, 2SO-DIMM Slot with 4GB maximum memory + I ADDED AN EXTRA GIG OF DDR2
Hard Disk Drive: 100GB SATA-150, 5400RPM, 9.5mm with secondary HDD slot
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM/DVD+/-RW Double Layer Support (Maximum speed and compatiblity 4X DVD+R DL, 4X DVD-R DL, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 8X DVD+R, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD-ROM, 16X CD-RW, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-ROM)
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 with 256MB DDR2 Dedicated Video Memory and Windows Vista™ Aero Glass support
Took out the specs I knew you wouldn't need. The only hardware change I made was to buy an extra gig of DDR2 RAM. I also have my HD partitioned in half so I can dual boot Ubuntu, but I still have 5 and a half gigs of physical memory on the windows side, so that shouldn't make a difference.

So.. any ideas why it is not working?

joshbakr

Why don't you try re-downloading the TG 9.43 Installer again in the event that something got corrupted in the first file transfer. That's happened to me before. Just a thought?

wbar

i downloaded it twice, will try again

Oshyan

Both Terragen 0.9 and Terragen 2 should work fine on Vista. We've tested the installation and basic functions as well as had reports from several users of their own success. There are some occasional display issues, but otherwise there is nothing unusual about Terragen functioning on Vista as compared to other apps designed for XP (e.g. sometimes running as Administrator may be necessary, etc.).

Does it give you any error messages when installing? How big is the download file?

- Oshyan

wbar

1.6 mb

"The installer was interrupted before Terragen could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again."

I'm thinking I will just have to wait till terragen 2 comes out... :(

Oshyan

TG2 is already available as a free Technology Preview. You can download it here:
http://planetside.co.uk/terragen/tg2/tg2tp/index.html

I'm not sure what the cause of the error message you are seeing would be. 1.6MB is what our download page indicates the file should be, but it still may be a corrupt or incomplete download. We use a rotating mirror system so redownloading should get you a file from a different server. I know you've already tried at least twice, but it may be worth another shot.

- Oshyan

wbar

No, I think it is something wrong with my computer... I tried downloading ventrilo, (vista is not on the supported OS list but I assume it is forward compatible) and it doesn't work either... same exact problem. This is really frustrating!

-UPDATE-
terragen 2 tech preview (installer was 3.10 mb) did not work either. SAME PROBLEM. I hate vista... so unstable. I have been having all kinds of prblems with it!! iTunes randomly crashes, then says the new update fixes the problem, then the new update won't install, then sometimes firefox won't download things right (I downloaded terragen on multiple browsers, still didn't work) and programs randomly crash. I don't think it is a virus, I've run scans, I just think Vista was too big of a project for those idiots at microsoft to handle.

Sorry, just kinda upset. I really don't like microsoft... (that is why I've got ubuntu on here too) and wouldn't use it if everything wasn't so freaking dependent on it. It might have something to do with my hardware, I know everex is not a mainstream manufacturer.

Oshyan

I've had some install-related trouble with Vista as well. *sigh*

- Oshyan

zionner